Charger for Trinket - 1904/1905
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Charger for Trinket - 1904/1905

by guitartoys on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi,

1st post here.

I'm using a trinket, and I guess this is more of a charger question. So I will have the battery hooked up to the charger. And then use the microUSB to charge the battery.

Can I hook the trinket to the gnd and battery connection on the charger, so I can have everything permanently hooked up.

I have an on/off switch on trinket, so I can prevent the Trinket from being on during the charge.

I just want to leave everything connected up.

Or do I even need a charger at all? If I have the battery hooked up to the trinket, and the power switch on, will hooking the micro-USB on the trinket to my USB port also charge the battery?

Thanks.

Michael

guitartoys

Re: Charger for Trinket - 1904/1905

by XRAD on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm

depends on your battery type and your project. You could run through the Trinket USB, but limited current this way. Best practice is to use a separate USB charger between the battery and the Trinket. Power the trinket via the charger output(will either be the plugged in USB or via battery). You would therefore not use the trinket USB directly to supply power to the charger or charge the batteries directly. And then you can hardwire it all together. Just put the ON/OFF switch on the Trinket side of the charger so that you can still charge the battery when the trinket is OFF.

Charging requirements vary depending on charge time and battery capacity. If you are using a small lipo, you may only need 100mah. But you can get up to 500mah charge from this mini charger. Read through the tutorial. Calculate your needs before selecting USB charger and battery.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mic ... s/overview

Adafruit sells a larger mah charger too.

Review my project here, as well (trinket with lipo charger diagram):
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=145467&p=718727#p718604
Last edited by XRAD on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XRAD

by guitartoys on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I've already ordered the charger, and will just expose the usb connection for the charger in my little case to allow the battery to be charged when needed. I'll then connect the battery to the charger, and then take the battery connection output from the charger to the power switch going to the trinket. So as you indicated, I can charge the battery while the trinket is turned off.

I just wanted to be sure this was cool to do.

Thanks again.

Michael

guitartoys

by XRAD on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:56 pm

your welcome! And post some pics of your project!

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.