Trinket 5v not seen by Windows 10 (total noob here).
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket 5v not seen by Windows 10 (total noob here).

by jruzic on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:38 am

I bought the Neopixel Goggle kit. This is my first build. I have set up Arduino and I have everything put together.

However, for the life of me I cannot get the trinket 5v into bootmode. Yes I am using usb 2.0 and yes I have used multiple cables and computers. I am running Windows 10. I did see an article about forcing a reboot, and no I did not try it because it makes no sense to me (because this is my first build).

Any help here?

If anyone from the company sees this. Why would you send outdated hardware with a kit? People that are heavily into this kind of stuff are probably not buying your kits. It is the noobs like me. You specifically say it is far easier on your site using trinket mo and you do not recommend using the 5v since it is being phased out ... yet you sell it in this kit ...

jruzic

Re: Trinket 5v not seen by Windows 10 (total noob here).

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:20 am

If you open the DeviceManager on Windows, do you see any activity when you plug in the Trinket? How about when you press the reset button?

adafruit_support_bill

by jruzic on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi, I just tried that but I did not see any activity or changes on the device manager. I also did hit the reset button and this also did nothing.

jruzic

by XRAD on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:32 pm

My build kit was the goggles kit too, cool build.

1) plug the trinket into USB and press the reset button once. does the trinket red led change pattern? OK, should blink relatively fast for about 10 sec. For me, that is the 'time in which to upload yoru arduino sketch' when #2 below has been completed.

2) Open your arduino IDE and look at the dropdown menu where you can select the 'board' type. Do you see Trinket 5v as a choice? If not, you will have to add the AVR library to the arduino lib folder. this is really simple to do. read about it all here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader
and the following pages

so you need the hardware(you have that)
and the drivers
and the AVR lib for adafruit avr boards added to arduino library

then you should see the trinket on the arduino 'board' list , and chose it
and make sure to use drop down list programmer USBTinyISP to load your sketch to the Trinket

once you have this functioning , the fun begins. (and if you stick with it, you will soon discover the trinket M0 series which is very easy to use)

XRAD

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 pm

If there is no activity in the Device Manager, then the bootloader is not working for some reason. Please contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and we can arrange a replacement.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.