PWM from Trinket M0
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PWM from Trinket M0

by bythewater on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:27 am

I'm attempting to drive this motor controller from pin 3 of an M0:
http://www.revrobotics.com/sparkmax-use ... tion-3-3-1

See screen capture showing specs on that device. It's not working and I believe that it could be a mis-match in pwm frequencies.
It appears the motor controller supports an input frequency of 50-200 while I'm finding from searching on the Trinket that it's PWM freq is 400?

Can what I need be done? I'd like to avoid bit-banging as it seems like a hack that may not be reliable. Thanks.
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
int pwmPin = 4;

void setup() {
  pinMode(pwmPin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  analogWrite(pwmPin, 50);
}
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 6.14.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 6.14.09 AM.png (176.79 KiB) Viewed 183 times

bythewater

Re: PWM from Trinket M0

by rcwilcox on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 am

Have you looked at Curie Timer One ?
My TM0 is currently set up with a Circuit Python and I don't want to revert to Arduino (I've not yet tested swapping between languages) but you might see if that library is available for the SAM21 chip.

rcwilcox

by rcwilcox on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am

Hmmmm, it seems that library may be for specific hardware on the Genuino. I would look at the SAM21 datasheet and see if the hardware can be programmed in a similar fashion.

Perhaps you can use this library Adafruit Zero Timer

rcwilcox

by bythewater on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I guess one option is the adafruit pwm board, which appears to allow greater degree of control. Overkill but would solve the problem. Or geez I revert to a 555 circuit, but that seems silly.

bythewater

by XRAD on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Using arduino IDE, servo control of motors is generally excellent. Trinket M0 outputs standard servo PWM 1-2ms position signals. the sparkmax has a 50ms update window which is pretty big. You need to include the servo library to control servos( or servo related objects such as a motor speed controller, ESC, etc...).

So try a simple servo.write() code block and see what happens. NOTE: for some motor controllers, only a few 1/10's msecs off midline makes the motor full speed. the servo lib converts this to easy to understand degrees 0-180. So the code may look max speed reverse = 60, and max speed forward = 110. You will have to find the best set-up.

Sometimes, you need to tie your motor esc ground and TM0 grounds together. obviously, make sure that the speed controller is not running off/through the M0 board power pins....

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo
// twelve servo objects can be created on most boards

int pos = 90;    // I'm guessing that you should start in the middle (~1500), for zero motor speed

void setup() {
  myservo.attach(3);  // attaches the servo on pin PWM 3 to the servo object, on the M0
}

void loop() {
  for (pos = 0; pos <= 180; pos += 1) { // I would adjust this down a bit so that you do not full boat your motor, ie: 60;120)
    // in steps of 1 degree
    myservo.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos'
    delay(500);                       // waits 1/2sec
  }
  for (pos = 180; pos >= 0; pos -= 1) {
    myservo.write(pos);               
    delay(500);                       
  }
}

XRAD

by bythewater on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you, will try, was wondering about whether ground loops are an issue.
I've also switched to CircuitPython to see if that will work.

bythewater

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.