Cyber falls parallel data problems
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cyber falls parallel data problems

by mouse19 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 pm

I've burned through roughly 3 Trinket M0 boards and I've finally sorted out that the pins can only support one data wire at a time.

I used the python code instead of Arduino. I was able to get signals for 4 of my 5 pins but no pin can support two data wires, both lines turn off when two wires are attached.

I'm using roughly 6.2V (4 AA batteries) and the tin suggested in the tutorial.
All the LED strands (6 total of 12-14 LEDs) work, I tested them independently before soldering.
I also common grounded a 2nd board to the first and found the off LED strands would partially turn on when connected to the 2nd board, which I powered via USB port.

Please help, I'm not sure how to rewire the boards to make this work, please help.

mouse19

Re: Cyber falls parallel data problems

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 am

I'm using roughly 6.2V (4 AA batteries) and the tin suggested in the tutorial.

The tutorial specifies:
3 x AA battery case w/switch (lasts longer!) OR 3XAAA battery case w/switch (slightly smaller)

3xAA or AAA provides roughly 4.5v.

The pixels themselves are rated for a maximum of 5.5v. More than that can permanently damage the pixels.

adafruit_support_bill

by mouse19 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will reduce the voltage to the pixels. However the trinket has a step down converter from 6V to 3.3V. So why is it having difficulty sending data signals to more than one string of LEDs?

mouse19

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Two reasons:

1) The logic level of the M0 is 3.3v, which barely qualifies as a logic HIGH for pixels being powered by 5v - much less pixels powered by 6v or more.

2) The output current available from the M0 is about half of what the ATTiny is capable of. So the fanout capacity will be lower too.

adafruit_support_bill

by mouse19 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 am

Thank you for the explanation. I modified my battery holder to use 3AA batteries for 4.89V. The trinket remained finicky over which output I doubled up on, but it did correct itself on that pin and pin 1. I have one more application for this board using 9 LED strings, I'll see if it will accept strands in parallel.

If the LED on the trinket board is violet (red & blue) does this indicate a major error has occurred?
When I programmed my newest trinket I was grounded to my ESD mat and wall and I was not wearing my watch with a magnetic clasp. The LED remained green like at start up. Previously I was not as ESD or magnetism conscious and the LEDs went violet.

mouse19

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

Is there any flashing, or just steady violet?

adafruit_support_bill

by mouse19 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Steady violet. It still calls up as a flash drive on the PC though the memory bar is red. It seems to accept python rewrites.

mouse19

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:33 pm

That sounds normal: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tri ... uided-tour
RGB DotStar LED - Instead of an always-on green LED we provide a full RGB LED. You can set it to any color in the rainbow. It will also help you know when the bootloader is running (it will turn green) or if it failed to initialize USB when connected to a computer (it will turn red). By default after you boot up the Trinket M0 it will turn a lovely violet color.

adafruit_support_bill

by mouse19 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 am

Thank you very much. I'll charge full steam ahead.

mouse19

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.