5V Pro Trinket Upgrade
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

5V Pro Trinket Upgrade

by chrisac on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 pm

Are there any plans on making a 5V replacement for the Pro Trinket using the 5V version "C" of the chip ATSAMC21G18?

I have been using the 5V Pro Trinket for years. I am starting to run into the problem of needing a larger size for my Arduino program.

I originally tried the 3V Pro Trinket, which did not work with the 5V sensors I am using. So when I tried the 5V and it worked, I never looked back.

I like the Trinket M0 for 3V with the ATSAMD21G18 chip for some other projects I have done. I am hoping there are plans for a 5V version in the works.

https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATSAMC21G18A

chrisac

Re: 5V Pro Trinket Upgrade

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 am

Nope.. we're moving away from that design in general.

The Trinket/Pro-Trinket bootloader with USB emulation was an awesome hack back when the boards were first created, but experience has shown that a *lot* of people have trouble using it.

Honestly, we mis-predicted the audience for them. We intended the Trinket for medium-advanced users who had a simple job to do. The Pro Trinket was for people building embedded devices that wouldn't need a USB connection after they were installed. Most people who actually bought them were beginners who didn't have enough experience to select a microcontroller, who thought, "cool.. I can get an entry-level board for $8," then ran into a bunch of problems they couldn't understand.

The Trinket M0, with CircuitPython, was designed specifically for that audience. That's where we're directing attention now.

We've also given up on USB emulation in the bootloader.. it was a good trick in its day, but USB-3 has pretty much killed it. The high-speed device recognition process starts with a burst of 480 Mbps data that crashes the chip as often as not, so it's time to let that idea rest for a while. Given the pace of development, we'll probably see microcontrollers working as USB-2 hubs in five to seven years, and the old tricks will have a new place to play.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.