Can't upload to Trinket MO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't upload to Trinket MO

by Giggles720 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 am

I've followed the instructions on the Trinket M0 Setup for using the Arduino IDE. I'm on a Mac. The board is listed and it sees it in the usb port. I tried loading the Blink sketch and it starts to upload and then gives me tons of errors (see below). I've tried the double tap on the reset button too. I've successfully uploaded to an arduino Mini but cannot do it with the Trinket M0. And I have 2 of them. Neither will upload.

Errors:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Trinket M0"

Sketch uses 10080 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "{runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0.path}/bossac": error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:620)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:485)
at processing.app.helpers.ProcessUtils.exec(ProcessUtils.java:11)
at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:129)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.runCommand(SerialUploader.java:383)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:197)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2070)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.forkAndExec(Native Method)
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:247)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:134)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
... 11 more
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Giggles720

Re: Can't upload to Trinket MO

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:27 am

This error usually means the board support package has gotten messed up:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "{runtime.tools.bossac-1.7.0.path}/bossac": error=2, No such file or directory
Sometimes the updaters leave old files that shouldn't be there, especially if you skip a version while upgrading.

It's faster and easier to delete the whole Arduino15 folder and reinstally the board support packages from scratch than to try and find where the existing version went off the rails.

In Finder, select the Go menu and then press the Option key. You'll see a new item named Library appear.. it will be the only thing in the menu without a keyboard shortcut. Select that, find the folder named Arduino15 and throw it away. Then you can launch the Arduino IDE and reinstall the board support package.

adafruit_support_mike

by Giggles720 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:06 am

After trashing the IDE and the Arduino15 folder I reinstalled Arduino 1.8.9 and the SAMD boards only to find there is no longer a Trinket M0 board. Is the Arduino M0 the new Trinket M0? A search inn the board Manager for Trinket comes up blank. It still doesn't work with Arduino M0.

Giggles720

by XRAD on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Will not work with board ' arduino M0' . But you still have to install the arduino SAMD support. Trinket M0 is part of the adafruit SAMD boards family, which you install next, so you should see Trinket M0 if you have the adafruit SAMD support installed. Arduino IDE has many teeth. Even though you have deleted the folder and uninstalled it, there are many more files hidden throughout your system. I had to use a great product, revo uninstaller (free for what you need..not sure if it works w/MAC), to get all the files and bits correctly removed. If you think you have a corrupt arduino IDE file, you may have to go deeper with you S+D(search and delete).

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.