Trinket and Neopixel x12 for goggles

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thomasf8620

Trinket and Neopixel x12 for goggles

Post by thomasf8620 »

Hello, how can you wire and solder a pair of neopixel x12 rings together using the Trinket v5 for a set of goggles?

thomasf8620

Re: Trinket and Neopixel x12 for goggles

Post by thomasf8620 »

Hey thanks for the reply! I'm aware of this tutorial but the problem is it's for the neopixel x16 which has 6 solder points and the neopixel x12 ring has four. The neopixel x16 has 2 grounds and 2 V+ holes.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Just use a separate pair of 5V and GND lines for each ring. As long as both rings are connected to power, they'll work.

thomasf8620

Post by thomasf8620 »

Do you mean double up on the V+ and Ground ones?

adafruit_support_mike

Yes. One pair of wires to each NeoPixel ring.

thomasf8620

Post by thomasf8620 »

So just one more time so it's clear. Since there are only 4 holes to solder to on the neopixel x12 ring, instead of 6 like on the neopixel x16, take the two ground wires and solder them to the same hole. Then do the same thing for the V+ wires. Right? Sorry this is my first time and it's a bit confusing.

adafruit_support_mike

Break it down into smaller pieces: how would you connect power to a single 12x ring?

thomasf8620

Post by thomasf8620 »

I'm not following what you are saying. Can you please ma kg e a diagram for me to better understand it?

adafruit_support_mike

I'm trying to learn your understanding of the hardware, so that would defeat the purpose.

Imagine you only had one NeoPixel ring. How would you connect power to it?

thomasf8620

Post by thomasf8620 »

I can tell you it's limited. A friend bought these two rings cause it fits his mask. He asked me to solder it together and said i just had to follow the instruction diagram for the Neopixel x16, but use it for the x12. Obviously one has more holes than the other.

So i just need a clear diagram of how to hook up two Neopixel x12 ring together using a single Trinket like you would do for the Neopixel x16.

So if i could get a diagram to follow, it would be greatly appreciate.

Frankchap21

Post by Frankchap21 »

Mike where is the Diagram? I'm running into the same situation, and your website is no help. You gotta act like I know nothing about any of this. I need a simple diagram of the circuit for x12 instead of x16. I have attached to a photo from your website of an example of the diagram I need.

adafruit_support_mike

I'm pretty well convinced you wouldn't understand a diagram if I drew one. You've demonstrated an inability to make basic associations that tells me there are a couple of concepts you don't have in your vocabulary.

There's nothing wrong with that.. nobody is born knowing electronics.. but communication is impossible without those concepts, whether we're doing it verbally or graphically. The concepts you need will take about 30 seconds of thought to acquire, and both sides of this conversation will be a lot easier once you've made that investment.

Starting with this diagram:

https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/21024

Ignore the ring on the right. How is power connected to the ring on the left?

Frankchap21

Post by Frankchap21 »

Thanks, but if you look at what I sent you. I've been using that diagram, and it's not working for the x12. It's a simple middle school science class circuit. I was a tele communication switchboard operator/ field wireman/ tech for the marine corps. I even watched the video that you guys have on you to for the kaleidoscope gogglesand does not work.

adafruit_support_mike

In that case you should know what the positive and negative connections between a power source and a circuit are, and that multiple circuits can be connected in parallel to the same power source.

The diagram above has the positive and negative connections daisy-chained, which isn't possible with the 12-pixel rings because they lack the second VCC and GND connections.

Wire power to the rings in parallel: one wire from V+ on each ring to the positive terminal of the power source. One wire from GND on each ring to the negative terminal of the power source.

Four wires:

- one from the power source's negative terminal to GND on ring 1
- one from the power source's negative terminal to GND on ring 2
- one from the power source's positive terminal to V+ on ring 1
- one from the power source's positive terminal to V+ on ring 2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”