Pro Trinket with Arduino IDE 1.8.9
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pro Trinket with Arduino IDE 1.8.9

by gary_evans on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm

Desperately need to (re)program (12) systems already deployed in a driving simulator, (orginally chosen because they run off a common 12VDC supply with other devices). I have upgraded the IDE (MS Win 7) several times since originally programming these. Just downloaded Adafruit Windows drivers again (ver. 2.3.4.0), but can't see the Pro Trinket under 'Boards' in the IDE. Code compiles fine and I've tried pressing the reset button to start the bootloader, (using 'Arduino Pro' and Com1 - all that shows up), but avrdude can't upload. Help please.

gary_evans

Re: Pro Trinket with Arduino IDE 1.8.9

by XRAD on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

I use 1.8.9 without issue on all supported adafruit boards (albeit win10).

So it looks like you are following :
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

and the correct win7 adafruit driver should include the trinket pro:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... stallation

Sound like two issues:
1) Do you see any changes in Device Manager when you plug the trinket in? Good/correct USB cable?

2) getting the board library to load for arduino

check in the arduino IDE here for trinket library too?
Attachments
adalibs.JPG
adalibs.JPG (81.09 KiB) Viewed 104 times

XRAD

by gary_evans on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 pm

SOLVED! Somehow, over several months and updates/changes to the IDE, including attempts to manually remove unused drivers, I either uninstalled or corrupted the Adafruit Trinket drivers. Although USBtiny showed up in the Device Manager, none of the boards showed in the IDE. After (re)installing the Adafruit driver Package (and seeing the Trinket listed), I expected it to show up automagically in the IDE boards list. Not so. You must use the Boards Manager to manually install the Adafruit driver package into the IDE. My bad. Started with a fresh install of IDE 1.8.9, downloaded the driver package and used the Baords Manager to install the package into the IDE. All good now. Thanks XRAD for twigging me to my problem.

gary_evans

by XRAD on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:21 pm

YW! Glad to hear you are up and running. Yes, all new 'accessory' libraries need to be installed when you re-install the Arduino IDE. All your current Arduino libraries are kept in documents>arduino>libraries. As a side note: if you do have a corrupt arduino IDE file and you think you have removed the entire program, you probably have not. It has many 'fingers' all over which windows app remover does not see. I have had to use a deep cleaning uninstaller like 'revo uninstaller' to get everything cleaned out as much as possible......

You can download from listed libraries in the library manager, or download zip files from github and install them as well....just try to keep all your libraries in the doc>ard>lib file as duplicates can throw compile errors with some boards and programs....

XRAD

by gary_evans on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:38 am

All good advice, again. The ubiquitous Arduino IDE has spawned legions of makers, but, like all open-source projects, has its quirks. The compiler parsing and ordering of #include searches frequently throws me warnings about multiple libraries, though it generally picks the proper one. As for 'accessory' boards, I work mostly with Teensys, so I've been somewhat spoiled with Paul's 'Teensyduino' IDE extension and continuing updates. The initial install, (and subsequent updates), take care of everything - including new boards - in a single operation.

gary_evans

by XRAD on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 am

Agree. Paul's installer generally works without a hitch. Very robust USB connection. And he gets his boards on top of the arduino board drop-down selection window! I started out with the Teensy a few years back but got drawn into Adafruit because of all the excellent tutorials and examples as well as the hardware selection. Many of my builds are teensy/adafruit combos.

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.