Trinket M0 - Device Descriptor Request Failed
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket M0 - Device Descriptor Request Failed

by cmw120230 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:03 pm

I have a fairly new (one week old) Trinket M0 that I've been successfully testing a WS2812 LED strip with. I made some changes to the LED strip (removed a faulty LED from the strip) and went to update the CircuitPython code, but Windows 10 failed to connect giving a Device Desriptor Request Failed error in Device Manager. It still runs the code if I use a wall wart USB, but won't load the bootloader via the reset button or the CircuitPy folder like it used to (which was just a few minutes before). I've tried to access it using Mu, but it says no device is plugged into the computer. I can still move forward with the project for now, but I can't modify the code.

Thanks.

cmw120230

Re: Trinket M0 - Device Descriptor Request Failed

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:57 am

Does the computer still have a problem making a USB connection if you disconnect everything from the Trinket M0?

adafruit_support_mike

by cmw120230 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 am

It does, the first thing I tried was to connect the Trinket by itself.

Apparently when troubleshooting I tested different USB ports within the same header block and didn't try ports that go into the motherboard to a different header. I suppose I could have inadvertently overloaded or shorted out that USB port at the motherboard while testing. The Trinket now connects to the computer again, but anything else USB doesn't connect to that particular USB port.

Thank you.

cmw120230

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 pm

It does sound like the USB port has failed.

If you were taking power for the WS2812 strip from the USB port, you could have gotten more load than the port could handle. In the wost case, 9 NeoPixels can draw more than the 500mA maximum load for a USB-2 port.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.