Trinket M0 blinks blue and gets hot when plugged in

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jakeSDS

Trinket M0 blinks blue and gets hot when plugged in

Post by jakeSDS »

I have a trinket M0 that I am using to pulse a solenoid on when a button is pressed. I'm using it with a lipo backpack (and high C rate 1s1p lipo), tip 120, and a Pololu voltage boosting board. The battery provides 8A to the boost board for 300ms pulses (duty cycle is limited to 20% but in practice is much much lower). The solenoid does have large protection diode. I had it all working and packaged up very tightly. I noticed it got hot after moving stuff around in the housing and quickly unplugged the battery. The trinket appears to be bricked. The voltage booster continues to work as it should. The lipo backpack lights up the red charge light when it is provided with external 5v power.

I have a feeling something got shorted, though I'm not sure where. Anyways - now the Trinket M0 dotstar LED blinks slowly blue and then faster blue and gets brighter pretty shortly after power is applied. The green power LED also blinks rapidly. It also gets very hot. Doesn't show up in windows and the button to put it in bootloader mode doesn't seem to do anything. Fairly sure it's bricked and I already ordered a few replacements, but I couldn't find anything on the blue blinking.

Oh, I removed everything from the Trinket as well and have checked for shorts, so this is the behavior of the bare board.

Any chance it's not bricked? Any idea what the blue is about? It seems like an indicator of how hot it is almost. I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Trinket M0 blinks blue and gets hot when plugged in

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

If you've removed everything that was attached but still can't get it into bootloader mode, then unfortunately it sounds brick. Esp. with the getting hot part.

jakeSDS

Post by jakeSDS »

Thanks. I'm just pressing the integrated button twice, is there any other way to get to bootloader mode?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Nope. That's the main way to do it manually.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”