Turn-on delay override

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spherical

Turn-on delay override

Post by spherical »

Hi all, I am using a Trinket 3.3V in some electronic apparel and everything is working great, except the long delay after powering on. Is there any way to speed this up? Is it jumping into bootloader for a few seconds or is this just the nature of the Trinket 3? The Trinket MO does not have this pause.

mikeysklar

Re: Turn-on delay override

Post by mikeysklar »

This is a known issue with the Trinket 3.3v. The bootloader is slower with a 4 second startup. As you noticed the M0 and M4 products do not have this issue.

spherical

Post by spherical »

Is there any known way to intentionally disable the bootloader after the program has been uploaded?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I've not seen a documented way to speed up the bootloader, but if you really want to get into it there is some code and a process to swap the bootloader using a second Arduino board to upload the bootloader to the Trinket.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

spherical

Post by spherical »

Does the Trinket 5V also have the delay? I am buying many of these, so the price difference between the MO and the 3.3 or 5 is significant.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I get it. It is an extra $2 for the Trinket M0, but well worth it for the memory and speed IMHO.

The Trinket 5v can run at double the clock speed as the Trinket 3.3v so getting bumping it up from 8MHz --> 16MHz could help. I do not know if the bootloaders are identical, but I would encourage you to test the 5v at the higher clock speed and confirm that it is faster for yourself before placing a large order. My guess is that this form of software overclocking will not assist you with a faster boot up, but it is worth investigating.

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... 8mhz-clock

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”