📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Trinket with a little prototyping area idea
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket with a little prototyping area idea

by physics_dude on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:12 pm

I got inspired to make something recently. Being one of my favorite microcontroller boards, I've got quite a few original trinkets. I always end up soldering them to a 250 hole perf board with 0.1" headers (sometimes with sockets). I also was eager to learn SMD work and Eagle (coming from KiCad) for the first time. This is my first little test project using those skills and I wanted to share; hoping maybe someone else can get inspired to make or sell something out of the idea (Adafruit? nudge nudge).

I plan to transplant a couple attiny85s from my older trinkets to these boards since I don't want to/can't flash them myself. I'm waiting for the tactile buttons and USB connectors to arrive in the mail though. I don't really have a project plan for these things. Though I can easily see these being used for some RGB, micro sensor data-loggers, smart stepper driver, or hey I've even got a little lightning-detecting camera trigger circuit I can shrinkify to one of these little things.

In the meantime, here's my PCBs. I'm not affiliated with them, but for $2 delivered (new customer discount) I have to say I'm pretty impressed with JLCPCB. I can't wait to start soldering to these things. And yes, my internal running title was "Tronket" (Assimilating Tron due to the 6x9 prototyping grid and "-ket").
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (188.21 KiB) Viewed 213 times

physics_dude

Re: Trinket with a little prototyping area idea

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass this along to the design team.

adafruit_support_bill

by physics_dude on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 am

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass this along to the design team.

Thanks! That would be so cool!

physics_dude

by physics_dude on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 am

After much headache with a "charge only" USB cable, and many unnecessary re-flows and re-flashes as a result, I have made one working prototype of this thing. In this example I made a little charlieplexing array using code from here: http://www.technoblogy.com/show?2H0K

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zkkI2bzh8Y

physics_dude

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.