Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Trinket bootloader issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket bootloader issue

by kbcamb on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am

hi,

I've been working with a 5v trinket. It was all going well including USB connections to windows and upload via Arduino IDE, and I was successfully developing my project - a timer circuit with a NeoPixel ring display.

Now I have completely lost the red light on connection: no light up, no blinking, nothing. I assume the bootloader has gone.

I do not have an UNO to follow the "repair bootloader" instructions. However, I do have a USBTinyISP programmer just like the one in the second picture down on this page (https://www.iot-experiments.com/attiny8 ... ent-board/). By connecting this up to the Trinket I am able to directly upload simple code such as the blink example and it works. However, more complex code from my project (including saved versions that I know previously worked) to drive the Neopixel ring appears to upload to the chip but then does not operate correctly. In fact I cannot even get a simple test sketch to light up the NeoPixel ring. I know the ring is ok as it works in another circuit.

I have tried clicking "Burn Bootloader" in Arduino IDE with the Trinket connected via the USBTinyISP programmer (the same connections which successfully upload the blink code), but I get the message:

avrdude: invalid byte value ({bootloader.unlock_bits}) specified for immediate mode
avrdude: read from file '{bootloader.unlock_bits}' failed
Error while burning bootloader

So I am stuck. Is the Trinket salvagable?

Many thanks for any help!

kbcamb

Re: Trinket bootloader issue

by rlahoda on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 am

I'm having similar problem. I was able to upload code just fine on my Trinket then suddenly it stopped showing the red LED. No pulsing not even when it first turns on. I tried the bootloader fix with my Arduino Mega clone, but the Trinket isn't found by the Arduino. I get this response:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Type 'G' or hit BUTTON for next chip
Starting Program Mode [OK]

Reading signature:0
  (no target attached?)
Signature fail

I don't have a programmer to try so I'm stuck.

rlahoda

by kbcamb on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 am

fyi I never managed to resolve this and ended up getting a replacement.

kbcamb

by rlahoda on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:01 pm

Thanks for letting me know.

rlahoda

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.