Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can this gemma tutorial be modified for what I want?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can this gemma tutorial be modified for what I want?

by grjmmr on Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

I have what I call the magic box that allows me to DMX control the lights within my plexi drum set. Inside the magic box, I have a relay which is turned off and on by using an arcade button that I tap with my foot. When there is no power applied, NC sends a signal to the lights with what ever combination of colors I want dictated by the dmx software. When power is applied, NO sends a signal to a vibration controlled relay (one of those crappy SMAKN things) which interrupts the DMX signal until it senses a vibration; which then pass on the dmx signal. It works. The problem is the SMAKN relays accel breaks pretty easily and I had to modify the board to increase the rate of which it dissipated power ( the lights stayed on too long). So I found this Gemma based tutorial that used a microphone.

https://learn.adafruit.com/gemma-powere ... tive-drums

My thought is I could decrease the sensitivity and replace the battery with a 5v DC transformer. But is there a way that I can have my 5v input (from the magic box) come into one of the pads and when the gemma is triggered by sound have that signal then continue out of another which then goes to the input of my led strip. This would give me the same effect as my vibration controlled setup and I am guessing the mic won't break as easily.

Any thoughts how this could be done or is there another tutorial that shows how to create essentially a sound controlled relay that would do what I need?

thanks,
William
grjmmr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.