Trinket Pro 5.0v

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pmerz3

Trinket Pro 5.0v

Post by pmerz3 »

I purchased a Trinket Pro recently and the computer does not recognize the board. I am using arduino IDE for programming as I also have some Uno's. I have downloaded the latest driver pack for Adafruit and installed. When the board is plugged into the computer, the board lights up, solid green and flashing red, but going into control panel shows no board hooked up. How do I fix this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Trinket Pro 5.0v

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

As noted in the product description, these boards have been deprecated due to compatibility issues with newer USB ports. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2000
Deprecation Warning: The Pro Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Pro Trinket so that people can maintain some older projets, we no longer recommend it.
If you have an old USB 1.0 or 2.0 hub, you can try connecting through that. Otherwise, your best bet is to use an FTDI cable as described in the guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... using-ftdi

pmerz3

Post by pmerz3 »

I do have usb 2 hub, which I connected the trinket pro though it. Still the same problem. The computer does not recognize the trinket.

adafruit_support_bill

Your best bet then is to use an FTDI cable. Since the Atmega328 does not have native USB support, we implemented it in software for the Trinkets. This worked well in USB 1.0, but the higher speeds of newer USB standards also required tighter timing constraints that were not possible to meet in software. It will work with some, but not all USB 2.0 ports. I have not seen it work at all with 3.0.

pmerz3

Post by pmerz3 »

Thanks! That worked!

sydcomebak

Post by sydcomebak »

Can you explain how the FTDI connects to the Trinket (not Pro) 5.0v?
-David

adafruit_support_bill

Can you explain how the FTDI connects to the Trinket (not Pro) 5.0v?
Not sure that it can. The ATTiny85 does not have a native hardware UART.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”