Trinket and avrdude issues

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AirBubblesCosplay

Trinket and avrdude issues

Post by AirBubblesCosplay »

Hello!

I recently did switch from older Trinkets to the Trinket M0 but had to make a last minute project and had to use one of my older Trinket boards I had lying around.

I've been trying to upload some code to it that was on a previous project so I know that part is fine. I get this error in Arduino (I did update libraries and make sure the driver was installed). It does look like it was uploaded but then I get this error.
avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

(expected 4, got -5)
I looked up the error and then followed these steps: https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/help

And we get this error in the command prompt:
avrdude: can't open config file "": Invalid argument
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file ""

I am running Windows 10 and I believe my ports are USB 3.0. We might have USB 2.0 on the back of the computer, not sure. Wanted to reach out to the hive mind here first.

Thanks!

-Arielle

pkclsoft

Re: Trinket and avrdude issues

Post by pkclsoft »

I don't use windows, but certainly in the past I've had success by plugging in an old USB hub (just a really old simple one, nothing fancy) and then doing the upload via that. It worked a treat with a Gemma V2 that refuses to talk to either a MacBook with a USB3 or a newer one with USBC.

As I said it might be different on Windows, but that has worked for me.

AirBubblesCosplay

Post by AirBubblesCosplay »

THANK YOU. That was totally it. Thankfully I did have an older hub lying around. =)

pkclsoft

Post by pkclsoft »

Happy I've been able to help someone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”