Schematics for Trinkeys

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rybec

Schematics for Trinkeys

Post by rybec »

I asked about this somewhere else on the forum, but I am beginning to think it was the wrong place. I am going to assume that questions about Trinkey's belong here.

I have the schematic for the Neo Trinkey, but I need something with open pads that I can solder my own wires to, because I need my components positioned independently from the board. I've recently discovered the Rotary Trinkey and the NeoKey Trinkey (which honestly you should have just called the Trinkey :)). Anyhow, I can't find the schematics for those, and I would like to know the pin mappings before deciding whether to buy one, either, or both. The Rotary Trinkey, with its three usable through hole pads (and SWD and SWC) might be really useful to me, but I need to know what processor pins the GPIOs map to. And I would also like to know how the one through hole pad on the NeoKey Trinkey maps as well (I assume the other is VCC or ground).

Thank you!
Lord Rybec

rybec

Re: Schematics for Trinkeys

Post by rybec »

And now a slide pot Trinkey! But still no schematics for anything but the Neo Trinkey. :(

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It takes a while to clean up the production files for publication. They'll hit the Github repo in time though.

rybec

Post by rybec »

I guess I'll just have to watch for them then. Thanks!

rybec

Post by rybec »

Ok, so I gave in and bought some Rotary Trinkeys because I was already buying some NeoKey Trinkeys when they were on sale, and there was no point wasting the shipping for two orders. I've installed CircuitPython, and I have it doing beautiful things. Based on the pinout of the rotary encoders, I was able to determine which pins on the board go to ROTA and ROTB. I'm still stuck with the SWITCH pin, and while the schematic and pinout for the NeoKey is on Github (my thanks to those involved with that), there is still nothing there for the Rotary Trinkey.

So, does anyone know which of the two switch pins is the actual input pin? If I was using the pins for an actual switch, it wouldn't matter, but I want to be able to use this for purposes that it wasn't designed for, and that pin would be more useful to me, if I could use it as an output. (It would also be nice to know where the pins are mapped on the SAMD21 chip, because I would also really like another touch input.)

I don't know how long it is going to be, before this information is put on Github, so if anyone knows and could tell me, I would really appreciate it. I would love to start working on some of my projects right away, but I'm stuck because I just don't have enough information. (And frankly, I don't have a clue how to figure out the pin mappings to the chip in CircuitPython. I normally prefer to code in C or assembly on microcontrollers, but since my projects don't have strict performance requirements, I figured it was a good time to try out something a bit simpler, and Python is awesome for that. Also, I want to buy my kids some Neo Trinkeys, and CircuitPython's ability to install programs directly through the filesystem will make it really easy form them to use.)

Anyhow, thanks! And especially thanks for coming up with the idea of Trinkeys. I've considered using MSP430 DIP packages and just soldering to their pins for things that have severe space limitations, and Trinkeys are so much better for this, because I still have the option of reprogramming them later. (And, maybe there will eventually be one with I2C and/or SPI, with this tiny profile.)

rybec

Post by rybec »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”