Adafruit Trinket M0 time accuracy

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DanInvents

Adafruit Trinket M0 time accuracy

Post by DanInvents »

Hi!

I have ordered an Adafruit Trinket M0 and I would like to do datalogging at 100 Hz to a micro-SD card. I have noticed that the board does not include a crystal oscillator. Should I be concerned about time accuracy?

Regards,

Daniel

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit Trinket M0 time accuracy

Post by mikeysklar »

Daniel,

It depends on how you will be powering your board. I believe the Trinket M0 can measure pulses over USB to keep time sync a bit more accurate if you will be power it via USB. Do you know if that will be your setup?

If you really need precise timing and will not be using USB you might want to consider using a Feather controller board with a RTC / Crystal / SD card FeatherWing stacked on top.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ada ... eatherwing

DanInvents

Re: Adafruit Trinket M0 time accuracy

Post by DanInvents »

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. I have bought an Adafruit Trinket M0 to become familiar with the ATSAMD21 microcontroller. The flavor ATSAMD21E is perfect for my application since I will be designing a very compact board to place inside a rocket. The board will be battery powered and the microcontroller will collect data such as acceleration and altitude and write it to a microSD card.

I have decided to include a crystal for precise timing, just to be on the safe side.

Daniel

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”