How to start with on-board DotStar?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sperig

How to start with on-board DotStar?

Post by sperig »

Sorry, I'm really confused.

I have 2 Trinket M0 boards. The first I have configured to program from Arduino IDE & I have got 'control' of switching on/off any colours to the on-board DotStar.

However, for the second board I want to program using Circuit Python. I have CP 6.3.0 and am using Mu editor (the screen says Mu 1.1.0.alpha2). I have tried to follow the tutorials. But I'm getting so confused..... between versions, libraries & example programs to use.

As an example ..... I'm looking at (a recent page) ... https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... l_blink.py I have tried to install the suggested libraries (or updates to them?) and to save the example code as code.py on CIRCUITPY. Mu editor downloads ok, but the DotStar just gives the usual range of diagnostic colur coded outputs.

Any help would be appreciated, ideally as clear steps for me to follow
thanks
Roger
the trinket M0 is ideal for our datalogging example and I assume I'll need to use CP to save data to it as a memory device.

sperig

Re: How to start with on-board DotStar?

Post by sperig »

ps. I am programming on a Macbook with OS Big Sur
Roger

sperig

Re: How to start with on-board DotStar?

Post by sperig »

SORTED! Thanks ..... the info at https://readthedocs.org/projects/adafru ... df/latest/
was most helpful. And using REPL led me to loading adafruit_pypixelbuf.mpy and all was good.
Now to have some fun programming...
Roger

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”