Trinket MO Arduino Issue

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MrLyleB

Trinket MO Arduino Issue

Post by MrLyleB »

I have a trinket M0 I'd like to use (so small!) for a halloween project, but it's being difficult :). I have old school trinkets still running beautifully, and I hope to get this little friend up and running.

When first turned on it was running circuit python 3.1.1 and I was able to hook up lucky 13 neopixles and get them to do the rainbow loop. Unfortunately I encountered memory problems (on a Mac), so I updated to the new CPy. Same issue, no ability to move new files over. So I moved to Make Code which worked but required a reset after applying power. No big deal. But my goal was to get to Fran's Fireflies effect, and I got lost trying to recreate that.

I reinstalled CPython and went back to memory issues. I tried the trouble shooting tips for deleting the file structure, etc, tried reinstalling the bootloader. No luck.

I then moved to the good old arduino IDE and installed the correct packages, and got a board info readout.

During a upload (just trying blink to test connection) I get this in the monitor:

Sketch uses 11488 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Global variables use 2188 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 30580 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

Would you advise to keep trying, or should I get a new board? Is there a next step I missed? Thank you for your time!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Trinket MO Arduino Issue

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to the computer. There’s a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals.

Just swapping cables has no dignostic value. The current record is someone who had to try ten cables before finding one that worked. You need the evidence of a working USB connection to rule out a charge-only cable.

Also, double-check your build targets to make sure you’ve selected the Trinket M0. The error messages above say the IDE is trying to make a connection through stk500v2 programmer emulation, but all versions of the SAMD21 want sam-ba and bossac.

MrLyleB

Post by MrLyleB »

Thank you so much!

I was using my lucky cable that transfers data to my Proffieboards, so I had at least some confidence there :)

I had installed Adafruit SAMD support from the boards manager, but not Adafruit AVR. Not sure why but when I installed that package, I was able to connect and upload Blink.

Fixed. Let the Halloweening continue....

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear you got it working. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”