Pro Trinket 5v/16MHz Unable to reset or enter bootloader mod

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mweltin

Pro Trinket 5v/16MHz Unable to reset or enter bootloader mod

Post by mweltin »

I was working with a Trinket Pro 5v, recently. Everything was working normally.
I was able to upload my program via USB and test my project. I unplugged the USB when I was done testing.

The next time I plugged it in, there was no red light, and I was unable to enter the bootloader mode.
The rest button is unresponsive, and I'm unable to communicate with the board.
Running OSX 11.6
Arduino IDE 1.8.16

I have the correct board and programmer set in the IDE Pro Trinket 5v/16MHz (USB), and USBTinyISP
All I get from the IDE is
"avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)"

The code I'm running can be found here. https://github.com/pomeroyb/PortalGun/b ... talGun.ino

I have removed all the pins from the board and still unable to enter the bootloader mode. I have power cycled the board and my laptop to no avail.
I have tried three different USB cables.
I tried using a 10k resistor between 5v and rest pin

I think the board is bad, I have my hopes set on having this project ready by halloween but I have run out of ideas as to what could be wrong.

dastels

Re: Pro Trinket 5v/16MHz Unable to reset or enter bootloader

Post by dastels »

This doesn't overly surprise me. The top line of the product description at https://www.adafruit.com/product/2000.
Deprecation Warning: The Pro Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Pro Trinket so that people can maintain some older projets, we no longer recommend it.
I suspect this is the problem.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”