Connect Trinket M0 to Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
diff_arch

Connect Trinket M0 to Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?

Post by diff_arch »

Hi everybody,

I plan on using an Adafruit Trinket M0 as an HID over USB with a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W.
The display I'm using with the Pi takes up all its GPIO pins so this is one option to still be able to connect a couple of buttons to the Pi, if I can get it to work.

Is it possible to connect the Trinket to the Pi over USB but power it from somewhere else?
As I understand, the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W has one powered and one data micro USB port. The powered one is taken to power the Pi and I don't know if the other one is able to power the Trinket.

Regards.

dastels

Re: Connect Trinket M0 to Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?

Post by dastels »

I would try powering from the Pi first. A Trinket M0 won't take much power with nothing but buttons connected. However, you can make a data-only cable or adapter (the two data lines and ground... just no 5v connection) by either cutting the 5v line in a USB cable, or making an adapter using DIY USB connectors (either a microUSB adapter (no 5v connection) or a USB-A->microUSB cable (again, with no 5v connection). See https://www.adafruit.com/?q=USB&sort=BestMatch to find the USB bits & pieces.

Dave

diff_arch

Re: Connect Trinket M0 to Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?

Post by diff_arch »

Thank you for the reply, Dave. I'll try what you suggested, once I receive the Trinket and DIY USB connector gear.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”