Trinket Pro Deprecation warnning

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
airscapes

Trinket Pro Deprecation warnning

Post by airscapes »

What is it that does not work work well with modern computers and the trinket pro? I do not know what the bit-bang USB technique is and if it affects my use case. Is it using the USB port to program it vs the FTDI interface or something else?
I have read what the warning says, just don't know what that means and if I need to buy something else for my project. This would be my 5 or 6 trinket pro over the years and am happy with them all.
Thanks
Doug

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Trinket Pro Deprecation warnning

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The USB on the Trinket Pro is a very minimal software implementation. That's what "bit bang" means (software vs. a dedicated USB hardware peripheral). At the time it was originally written, it worked OK. But operating systems (Windows, etc.) evolved, got fancier, and as a result, success using the minimal USB on the Trinket Pro became hit or miss.

If you have a known working set up that seems to work reliably with the Trinket Pro, then it should be OK to continue using the Trinket Pro. The firmware on the Trinket Pro has not changed. So if you have a setup that works, it should continue to work.

The warning is more for people that don't have any existing hardware.

airscapes

Post by airscapes »

So if I am using the FTDI cable to program and no other USB interface for anything. Does this warning still apply? Yes my cable and PC worked last year this time.. still windows 10 so I assume It will still work to program the new board?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

No. The warning only applies for programming using the bootloader - which is what has the minimal USB implementation. Since that's the generally expected way to program the board, the warning was added.

For FTDI programming, that would not even come into play. You could even get rid of the bootloader if you wanted and flash whatever firmware. At that point, you're just directly programming an AT328P using an FTDI cable.

airscapes

Post by airscapes »

Thanks! That is what I had hoped would be the answer!
Have a great day!
Doug

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”