Custom Trinket M0 clone

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LivingSynthesis

Custom Trinket M0 clone

Post by LivingSynthesis »

Hi! Seeing as the trinket m0 is open-source I thought I'd give a crack at cloning it as a learning exercise and for potential use in future embedded projects! I believe I can recreate the circuit, but I'm a little confused as to what exactly I need to do once I have ordered it and assembled it to get it working with Arduino IDE! From what I understand, I'll need to burn a bootloader (preferably a UF2 bootloader) using a SWD programmer of some sort. Please correct anything I'm saying as I'm not 100% certain about any of this lol.

I see J-link devices recommended for this (both edu and other varieties) but I can't seem to find them available anywhere (are they discontinued?) I've also seen ATMEL-ICE recommended some places, but I'm not sure what device I need or where I can find how to use it. So I have a bunch of questions...

Do I need to find a J-link?
Does Atmel-ICE work as an alternative?
Can I use something like an Arduino or raspberry pi as an alternative?
I'm pretty sure you need to add a bootloader to a new blank chip before you can use it with Arduino, but is there some other way to use a blank samd21e with Arduino that I do not know about?

Any info or guides as to how to get a new board with a samd21e working with arduino would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions, I hope to learn a lot in this process!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Custom Trinket M0 clone

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

LivingSynthesis

I found that guide but it only desceibes how to use J-link products, which are not availalable in my searches, or at least the ones I find are priced $1500+ and that's outside of my budget! Unless I am not understanding this correctly?

adafruit_support_carter

Don't need one that fancy. This model would work just fine:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3571

That's the one shown in the guide.

LivingSynthesis

Yeah I'd love to get one like that, but they are not available anywhere! Do you know somewhere I can find one?

adafruit_support_carter

Unfortunately, seems like another symptom of the current on going global parts shortage. So many things out of stock right now. Sorry, it's beyond our control :(
Can I use something like an Arduino or raspberry pi as an alternative?
Maybe. Take a look at this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/programming- ... spberry-pi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”