"Update Id linker" question.

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
soulkeeper

"Update Id linker" question.

Post by soulkeeper »

So I was following up on the Trinket starting tutorial and I somehow failed the first two times. The mistake has to be in that stage.
http://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-t ... rduino-ide

So after reading carefully what I might have done wrong, I found something that did confuse me somehow.

In step 3 the guide says that you have to go into the tool/avr/bin directory, but the filename (or atleast the exact one) couldn't be found there. So I dug deeper, reading this here: (It's the Link you get when you click the "Thanks to TCWorld for fixing this" part)
https://github.com/TCWORLD/ATTinyCore/t ... 0for%20GCC
Now, on here they tell me to replace the ID.exe (so far so good), but in the tool/avr/avr/bin directory. And surprisingly, I found that directory and the file named Id.exe.

Well, as you might assume, I wouldn't come here and ask if it were to work properly. Neither the guide on the adafruit site nor the one on the github works for me in the end or it just is that I cannot figure out wheter this is the mistake or not.

So please tell me, which instructions should I follow? The ones from Adafruit (and renaming the given Id.exe into avr-Id.exe) or the one on the github page?

EDIT: If it matters, I am using windows xp (an industrial computer, that's why) and followed all the instructions on the tutorial.

Thanks in advance.

manfredb

Re: "Update Id linker" question.

Post by manfredb »

I'm looking for another 'ld' issue bur saw your question...

IMHO you should backup your existing linker and replace it with the one you got from either location (both files are identical)
so @Windows: copy your avr-ld.exe to avr-ld.exe.backup and rename ld.exe to avr-ld.exe

no guarantee (no windows box here) but should work

regards
Manfred

soulkeeper

Post by soulkeeper »

ManfredB wrote:I'm looking for another 'ld' issue bur saw your question...

IMHO you should backup your existing linker and replace it with the one you got from either location (both files are identical)
so @Windows: copy your avr-ld.exe to avr-ld.exe.backup and rename ld.exe to avr-ld.exe

no guarantee (no windows box here) but should work

regards
Manfred
Let's see if that works then, thank you.
[update]: After hours and hours of installing, trying and frustration it finally worked (Atleast the avrdude way). I might make another thread about that problem on its own.

Still awaiting answer from an adafruit staffmember though, just for verification of the "issue".

regards
soulkeeper

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The suggestion above is correct. You want to replace the existing linker with the new one. The name of the file is 'ld' (ell-dee, not ai-dee) or 'avr-ld'.

wbp

Post by wbp »

On my Arduino installation (1.0.4), there is NO file named "ld.exe" in the hardware\tools\avr\bin folder. There is a file named "avr-ld.exe". I renamed the downloaded "ld.exe" to "avr-ld.exe". That worked and I was able to load programs onto the Trinket and run them.

It seems the name of the loader is going to depend on which version of AVR you have installed.

In WinAVR-20100110 (the most recent version, required in order to use UsiSerial, there are TWO files that have "ld.exe" in the name: "avr-ld.exe" and "avr32-ld.exe". In this case I do not know which one to replace. I tried replacing avr-ld.exe but I still get errors loading to the Trinket.

William

wbp

Post by wbp »

Just to make things even more confusing...

I upgraded my IDE to 1.0.5, then re-installed all the changes to support the Trinket EXCEPT the LD update. I've got a sketch that weighs in at 5084 bytes (out of 5310 max) and it loads and runs without problems.

Fascinating...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”