BETA TEST: Windows 8 Signed Trinket/Gemma/USBTiny Drivers

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alisonc

Re: BETA TEST: Windows 8 Signed Trinket/Gemma/USBTiny Driver

Post by alisonc »

I just did that, and now the usbtiny is sometimes recognised and sometimes not.

When it is recognised i always get these errors upon uploading:

Code: Select all

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The device does not recognize the command.

(expected 4, got -5)

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The device does not recognize the command.

(expected 4, got -5)
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x20 != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The device does not recognize the command.
The usbtiny_receive error is repeated many times.

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

When did you upload or modify your development environment? Early on with Trinket/Gemma there were some issues with avrdude that were resolved later on. Also if you have multiple versions of the Arduino IDE on your PC, it may be using another, older avrdude.conf somewhere on your drive.

If it's been awhile since you loaded the IDE or you made the changes yourself, I'd suggest going to the Introducing Trinket guide and download the prebuilt IDE.

Otherwise these threads talk about the issue:
1. https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /faq#faq-3
2. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
3. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=45541

alisonc

Post by alisonc »

thekitty wrote:If it's been awhile since you loaded the IDE or you made the changes yourself, I'd suggest going to the Introducing Trinket guide and download the prebuilt IDE.
s/Trinket/Gemma/g
After i redownloaded the prebuilt arduino ide, the usbtiny is still only recognised about half the time, but hitting upload succeeds when it is recognised. Thanks for your help, i will call it good at this time since if uploading fails i can just hit reset on the gemma and retry. thank you!!

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

You're welcome. If you get just a couple 4, -5 warnings, if the Trinket or Gemma appears to be running your Sketch then you're ok.

And yes, you need to press the Reset button then press upload in the Arduino IDE (right arrow button). A bit different than with Uno but it works.

Have fun with your processor. Regards, Mike
Author "Getting Started with Adafruit Trinket"

RobOCode

Post by RobOCode »

Yay! I got it to work on my Windows 8 laptop! The only problem I run into is the tools menu in the Arduino software is slow to load but it still works with my Pro Trinket and I got the blink sketch to work. Thanks!

tcarey

Post by tcarey »

I did have arduino IDE 1.0.6 and then I upgraded to 1.6.0 working beautifully then I decided to load the pro trinket hardware driver and hardware profile to the Ide. I loaded the x64. Ide totally stopped working even for uno. Tried deleting hardware driver. Not sure I did that right. Uninstalled Ide then uninstalled IDE 1.0.6 and then pro trinket under board and still couldn't load. I did see something that said driver installing and it showed up USB tiny under other devices. I clicked update driver and then I browsed to driver X leads 86. Then it showed up under libusb-win32 devices and under that is USBtiny not under com port like arduino uno did.
I do reset to make sure light is blinking before uploading blink. Yes I chose the board pro trinket USB- 16. Then I get this error
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-ar: unable to rename 'core.a'; reason: File exists
Binary sketch size: 1,122 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
Then I found out, not mentioned in instructions, I need to set programmer.
Blink worked then I tried to upload a modified double blink which works on uno. Now I get this error.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-ar: unable to rename 'core.a'; reason: File exists
Binary sketch size: 1,122 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.
avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We don't support upgrading the 1.6.0 IDE. It is quite different from 1.0.5. Please stick with our 1.0.5 IDE version for working with Trinket and Pro Trinket

tcarey

Post by tcarey »

You have a version of the Ide for pro trinket. I thought there was one for trinket but the instructions says nothing about an Adafruit version for a pro trinket.

adafruit_support_rick

The Adafruit IDE supports Pro Trinket, Trinket, Gemma, and Flora, as well as the other Arduino boards (except Yun and Due). They are all in the Board menu

tcarey

Post by tcarey »

ty

jcarter0943

Post by jcarter0943 »

I have a student who has gone through a number of driver installs and re-installs in reference to the Trinket Pro 5v. He has been unable to have it recognized by Arduino 1.05 IDE on Window 8.1. He has also tried to reset the board to no avail. Is there anything else that we can try before we conclude there may be an issue with the board.

adafruit_support_rick

Are you using the Adafruit IDE?

Does the Pro Trinket show up as a COM Port in Device Manager?

tcarey

Post by tcarey »

So anyone that doesn't want to mess around try the following Ide. Is under the title the fast way.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... rduino-ide

jcarter0943

Post by jcarter0943 »

Yes we are using Adafruit IDE. No the COM port automatically says COM1. The setting cannot be changed. The device manager is recognizing the trinket as usbtiny. We've also tried three different computers two with Windows 8 and one with Windows 7.
Attachments
unreclil.PNG
unreclil.PNG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
usbunrec.PNG
usbunrec.PNG (18.3 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

jcarter0943

Post by jcarter0943 »

Another situation is that the trinket is blinking after running the blink function, but is still not being recognized at the bottom.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”