Questions about the Mini Race Car kit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Questions about the Mini Race Car kit

by oceanmono on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi, I bought this kit. Could you please let me know the following?

1. I installed Bluefruit LE Connect app to iPhone. After updating the firmware to the latest version, I noticed that the name of the Race Car has been changed automatically. How do I change the name of the car? It was called "Adafruit Formula E Racer Uart capable". Now it is called "Adafruit Bluefruit LE". Even I changed the following:

String BROADCAST_NAME = "Adafruit Formula E Racer";

in the MiniRaceCar program and recompiled, quit the Connect app and reconnected, it is still listed as "Adaruit Bluefruit LE Uart capable"

2. Is there any restrictions on the naming of the car?

3. At most how many Mini Race Car with iPhone/Android/iPad pairs can be in a room without interference?

oceanmono

Re: Questions about the Mini Race Car kit

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Can you clarify what you mean by updating the firmware. What was being run previously? What was the update?

The name is just a text string, so can generally be whatever.

adafruit_support_carter

by oceanmono on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:32 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by updating the firmware. What was being run previously? What was the update?

The name is just a text string, so can generally be whatever.

I changed the name to "Adafruit Formula EF Racer". On my iPhone, it incorrectly shows "Adafruit Bluefruit LE". On my iPad, it shows "Adafruit Formula EF Racer" correctly. The only different between my iPhone and iPad is that when I installed the software the first time on my iPhone after making the robot, there was a request for software/firmware update. Don't remember exactly which. I chose the latest version and now the Bluefruit Connect on my phone cannot display the changed name correctly.

Could you please let me know the answer to Q2 and Q3? Thanks.

oceanmono

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Sounds like it might be a caching issue. Try this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-le ... leshooting

See above for answer to Q2.

I'll ask about Q3.

adafruit_support_carter

by adafruit2 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 pm

you should be able to have a couple dozen. you may need to turn off/on ble on your device to get the name to 'reset' - there's a lot of caching done in ios/android

adafruit2
Site Admin

by oceanmono on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 pm

If I have 8-15 mini race cars in a room and each one is named differently, will there be interference if each user drives his own?

I tried Cycle Bluetooth and Cycle Power. Still does not work. As for Clear Bluetooth Cache, I went to Settings->Bluetooth. Since the "Adafruit Bluefruit LE" only shows up in Bluefruit but not in Settings->Bluetooth, I cannot press I to forget it/device from my iPhone. How come on my iPad, "Adafruit Formula EF Racer" showes up on Bluefruit but also do not show up in the Bluetooth list. Is it supposed to show up as a Bluetooth device?

oceanmono

by oceanmono on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

oceanmono wrote:If I have 10-20 mini race cars in a room and each one is named differently, will there be interference if each user drives his own?

I tried Cycle Bluetooth and Cycle Power. Still does not work. As for Clear Bluetooth Cache, I went to Settings->Bluetooth. Since the "Adafruit Bluefruit LE" only shows up in Bluefruit but not in Settings->Bluetooth, I cannot press I to forget it/device from my iPhone. How come on my iPad, "Adafruit Formula EF Racer" showes up on Bluefruit but also do not show up in the Bluetooth list. Is it supposed to show up as a Bluetooth device?

oceanmono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.