no bluetooth function at all

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KreationLabz

no bluetooth function at all

Post by KreationLabz »

I purchased a Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express for my project directly from adafruit. I built a cyberpunk thermal katana, and used the Darksaber build as my guide for wiring and programming.

Right out of the box, the bluetooth and the charging systems did not work. although programs uploaded to the device do work as intended.

Since I needed the prop to be functional by a specific date I moved forward with assembly despite the built-in charging and Bluetooth not working.

I have the earlier nRF device and it is visible on the adafruit app, as well as visible on my laptop. The earlier device will charge my projects battery. but I can't use the darksaber code on the earlier device.

Not sure what to do in this situation. I needed the prop to work by a specific date so I had no choice but to assemble it anyway.

Is it possible the device is defective? or is there some troubleshooting tricks I can try to get the bluetooth and on board charging to work?

Any help would be appreciated!
Shawn

dastels

Re: no bluetooth function at all

Post by dastels »

What battery do you have?

Do you have code running on the Feather that uses and advertises the bluetooth?

Dave

KreationLabz

Post by KreationLabz »

I'm using the battery specified in the darksaber build,
Lithium Ion Cylindrical Battery - 3.7v 2200mAh

I am using the code from the darksaber build.

Is there somewhere in the code where I'm supposed to "turn on" the bluetooth?

the yellow charge led doesn't blink when its hooked to usb, at all. which I thought was strange.

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK. That software should do the job.

Do you see anything being output in the REPL?

Dave

KreationLabz

Post by KreationLabz »

I was reviewing the copy of the darksaber code that was in the project bundle and I noticed that it did not have the coding for bluetooth in it. so I added that in from the copy posted on the build page.

but I still can't see the device with my phone or laptop via Bluetooth.

not sure what I should try next.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Have you read https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpython-nrf52840? It might provide some help.

Dave

KreationLabz

Post by KreationLabz »

I decided to start over from the beginning, coding wise redid everything related to that step by step, and was able to get the bluetooth on the device to function. apparently I must have missed something or may have started with uploading the code for the m4 express by mistake. thank you for getting me to look a little deeper into it and getting it working.

But the issue with the device not lighting the charging led is still present, and it definitely does not charge the battery whatsoever.

Is there a fix for this or could there be something actually wrong with the device regarding the charging circuitry, itself?

As I mentioned before this has been an issue right out of the package.

Thanks for any guidance on that!

dastels

Post by dastels »

Great about the progress. About the charging.. can you post a clear closeup of the Feather? A top down shot would be best.

Dave

KreationLabz

Post by KreationLabz »

I would still like to know if there is anything I can do about the charging circuit on the device, or if I should just get another one?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Well... I asked for a clear closeup of the top of the Feather to see if anything looks amiss. I'm still waiting for that.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”