Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

how to program the sniffer firmware V2 on Bluefruit LE Sniff
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

how to program the sniffer firmware V2 on Bluefruit LE Sniff

by wenij on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:08 am

hi Sir,

Just get the Bluefruit LE Sniffer firmware V2 dongle. I have solder out the SWO JLINK interface.
I try to upgrade using new Nordic Sniffer V3 firmware, but fail.
my question is
1. is it possible to upgrade to Nordic Sniffer V3 firmware?
2. how to restore to original V2 firmware? I using "adalink nrf51822 --programmer jlink --wipe --program-hex sniffer_pca10028_51296aa.hex", and it seems success without any error.
but it fail to get the BLE packet, the led no light or blink ....

wenij

wenij

Re: how to program the sniffer firmware V2 on Bluefruit LE S

by wenij on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:49 am

after several try, and test.
it can success to sniffer BLE packet.
But only one led will blinking when sniffer packet.

I also success change to use Sniffer v3.0 firmware.

wenij

by wenij on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 am

one more need to said here, maybe some one already knows it.
I use osx 10.14.
1. if uisng sniffer firmware 2.0, you need modify first line of /extcap/nrf_sniffer_ble.py to as
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#!/usr/local/bin/python2

if your wireshark can't show the nrf_sniffer interface.

if you using sniffer firmware 3.0, using its /extcap/nrf_sniffer_ble.sh, it will auto detect your right python3 path.

2. first, try new wireshark 3.2.0, it fail. will cause crash when start sniffer packet. I change back to use wireshark 3.0.2. it work very well.

wenij

by Stroker347 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 pm

If I understand correctly, you were able to successfully install the Nordic nRF Sniffer V3 firmware to the Bluefruit LE Friend V2 hardware using Adalink and a JLink programmer and it now works with Wireshark V3 and the Nordic nRF V3 sniffer software interface. Have you had any serious problems with this configuration or are you satisfied that it is working properly?
I ordered a Bluefruit LE Friend V2 device and should receive it soon. I would like to use the Nordic nRF V3 firmware and software interface because it is compatible with Python 3.8, which I currently have installed, whereas I would have to install Python 2.7 in order to use the V2 firmware and software interface. I already have a JLink programmer and an SWD connector that I can solder to the board.

Stroker347

by Stroker347 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 pm

I was able to upload the Nordic V3 sniffer firmware to my Bluefruit LE Friend (originally pre-loaded with V2 beta sniffer firmware) and it is working very well with Wireshark 3.2.0 and Python 3.8. Before, with the V2 firmware, Wireshark would occasionally crash when refreshing captures. With the V3 firmware I haven't experienced any crashes and the device faithfully follows transactions between master and slave devices. The one minor glitch is that the blue led no longer lights (WENIJ noted this in the original post), even if I re-flash with the V2 beta firmware. The yellow led still blinks, however, when the device is monitoring packets. I used the Nordic "nRF Connect for Desktop". Programmer module and a Segger JLink EDU mini programmer to perform the upload. It was an easy two step process with no problems.

Stroker347

by Stroker347 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:02 pm

See my post "Bluefruit LE Friend Firmware Version" to find out how to get the Blue LED working again.

Stroker347

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.