Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

nRF52840 Feather Express...but with Long-Range?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

nRF52840 Feather Express...but with Long-Range?

by earp123 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Would it be possible for me to purchase an Adafruit nRF52840 Feather Express WITHOUT the Bluetooth module placed on the board?

I am hoping to replace it with the longer range MDBT50Q-U1MV2 https://www.seeedstudio.com/MDBT50Q-U1M-nRF52840-Based-BLE-Module-p-3149.html rather than the base module that it already ships with.

OR does anyone know of a quick solution for a module-compatible ready made breakout board comparable in size to the Adadfuit Feather? As in, say, a really small and skinny evaluation board?

Thanks all!

earp123

Re: nRF52840 Feather Express...but with Long-Range?

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:43 am

We don't sell custom boards, but you could probably lift the nRF52480 off with a hot-plate reflow, then drop the new module on.

adafruit_support_mike

by earp123 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:10 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:We don't sell custom boards, but you could probably lift the nRF52480 off with a hot-plate reflow, then drop the new module on.

Understood. I am definitely able to drop a new module on, plenty of experience doing that. But lifting the old module off... that scares me :( Do you think I could buy a few more of these Feathers from the Adafruit shop and... maybe have someone do that for me before shipping them? Not necessarily a custom board... just an incomplete one. (I could pay extra for the lifting?)

OR is there some 3rd party service that can do that? I only ask because I'm facing a deadline on a business I started recently and would much rather not have your feather fabbed and assembled from the ground up with the eagle files.

Totally understand if this still cannot be done on Adafruit's end. But if that's the case, any suggestions on a feather sized breakout PCB solution that's roughly the size of the Feather? This long range module I'm after is crucial to our first project.

Thank you for your time, truly appreciate it.

earp123

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:17 am

We don't do any custom assembly (or disassembly), but you can post an offer on our Jobs board:

https://jobs.adafruit.com/

adafruit_support_mike

by gernot1972 on Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi, Just saw your posting because I did a search for exactly this issue with the connector to an external antenna.
Did you solve this problem? I would be interrested in the board with the changed BLE module!
Hope to hear from you.

gernot1972

by gernot1972 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi!
I had to move forward on my itsyBitsy nrF 52840 project but could not get the coded PHY setting to work with my iPhone. So I decided to use an external antenna and reworked the board.
I just need about 150m connection, so I was confident to get this along with +8dB RxTx setting.
I bought the MDBT50Q-U1MV2 and replaced the existing MDBT50Q-1MV2. Everything went fine on doing this on two boards, but now if I power the boards nothing happens! I cannot get to bootloader mode by doubleclick reset button.
Is there anything I missed?
Do I have to upload any initial software? Is thst possible? Do i have to do this over some other connection (maybe wire some pins)?
Anyone already replaced the Nordic chip?

gernot1972

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.