Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Sniffing Bluetooth comms
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Sniffing Bluetooth comms

by rowan_bradley on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 am

I need to be able to detect and analyse Bluetooth communications. Some of these will be BLE, some will be using earlier versions of Bluetooth, including Bluetooth Classic with the HFP (Hands Free Profile) and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). Your product "Adafruit Bluefruit LE Sniffer - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) [ADA2269]" is stated to be suitable only for BLE and not other types of Bluetooth comms. What do I need to be able to read other types of Bluetooth interactions, to understand how devices connect to each other, and why this may be failing in some circumstances?

Thanks - Rowan

rowan_bradley

Re: Sniffing Bluetooth comms

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 am

'Bluetooth' is a family of mostly incompatible protocols that happen to be managed by the same working group (which seems to love confusingly similar names).

A Bluetooth 4.0 dongle connected to a computer should be able to receive BT-C and BLE traffic, but I can't make any promises about the specific protocols. There's a 'high-speed Bluetooth' protocol which is really just a Wifi connection whose settings are negotiated over a BT-C or BLE link.

You'll have to read the standards documents for the protocols you want to sniff to see what kind of hardware they require.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.