Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LE UART Friend Bluetooth
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LE UART Friend Bluetooth

by HB9CEY on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello Supporter

I have bought 2 peaces of the Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend Bluetooth Modules from Play-Zone.ch for use as wireless serial interfaces between my HamRadios and MacBook.

I‘ve build such a Working Bluetooth interface, LeFriend and Max232, a while ago, even managed to change baudrate, but with the new samples it is not working at all. It is connecting with the Adafruit App on the iPad but they are not responding in any way.

The Modules are not visible in the Bluetooth system utility and connect with the MacBook only via the Bluetility software but are not responding in any mode.

Please give me some advice how I can get the Modules to work.

Many thanks for any help!

HB9CEY

Re: LE UART Friend Bluetooth

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 am

It is connecting with the Adafruit App on the iPad but they are not responding in any way.

Can you provide more information about what is happening here. What do you have the BLE Friend connected to? What software is it running?

adafruit_support_carter

by HB9CEY on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi

I want to use this modul as a wireless rs232 connection between my mac and amateurradio gear with rs232 port. I have to set the corresponding baudrate etc. at the modul, then it will be connected to a eg. max232 line inverter and from there by a 3-wire connection to the radios. RTS and CTS on the modul are connected together. I've build such an interface before and it worked right at the start.

I'm using the Serial software by Decisive Tactics on the Mac with OSX High Sierra or the adafruit app on the iPad. With both apps, the modul is recognised and connected, firmware updates can be made with the iPad app, changing version up and down without problem. But the modul is not responding to any AT commands, wether on the iPad, using UART, nor with the Serial software. I've tried to reset the modul as described in the papers, but without success. The switch is set to cmd and the led blinks 3 times. I've configured a bluetooth modul from Sparkfun with the Serial software without problems, so the software should not be the cause.

I've either fried the moduls somehow or I'm doing something completely wrong. I have 2 of these moduls, and both behave the same.

Please let me know what else I can do, or where I can send them for exchange.
Many thanks, Gerald

PS: I can't update the OSX to the latest version to use Bluefruit Connect from the App Store as I would loose too many paid applications I need for work...

HB9CEY

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Do you have another source for something with a serial port? And preferably not RS232. Something like an Arduino board? That way you could connect it more directly and write a simple serial TX/RX test program.

But also, it sounds like you are using this in Data Mode. So make sure the switch is set and see some of the details about the CTS pin here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... /data-mode

adafruit_support_carter

by HB9CEY on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 pm

I have the switch set to cmd, that is not the fault. Should‘nt it be possible to use AT commands with the IOS App set to UART and the modul connected with bluetooth? I have no other gear to use it with this modul. What I have is a rs232 to usb adapter.

HB9CEY

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.