Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Unable to see iBeacons with ESP32 and nRF52832
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Unable to see iBeacons with ESP32 and nRF52832

by phando on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:27 am

Hello,
I am working on some proximity projects and it would be amazing if I could see the advertising data from my iBeacons on of my Feather32s or my Feather nRF52832. I have tried all sorts of BLE Scanner sample code, but the only devices that are detected are connectable devices from around my office.

Is there an example of using a Feather32 (preferred) or a Feather nRF52832 to do proximity ranging with iBeacons?

Thank you!

phando

Re: Unable to see iBeacons with ESP32 and nRF52832

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi phando,

What results did you get when using the uribeancon example we provide?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... /uribeacon

72E708B9-ADEF-4C4A-8461-68CD6756B7CF.png
72E708B9-ADEF-4C4A-8461-68CD6756B7CF.png (97.04 KiB) Viewed 30 times

Note if you are trying to detect beacons with your Feather32 or nRF52 HW that is not possible with BLE.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... uit-le/faq

Can my Bluefruit board detect other Bluefruit boards or Central devices?

No. All of our Bluefruit LE modules currently operate in peripheral mode, which means they can only advertise their own existence via the advertising payload. The central device (usually your phone or laptop) is responsible for listening for these advertising packets, starting the connection process, and inititating any transactions between the devices. There is no way for a Bluefruit module to detect other Bluefruit modules or central devices in range, they can only send their own advertising data out and wait for a connection request to come in.

mikeysklar

Re: Unable to see iBeacons with ESP32 and nRF52832

by phando on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Thank you for the response!
I was using the examples from the Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52 Libraries not the Adafruit Bluefruit nRF51 library as you suggested. After installing the Adafruit Bluefruit nRF51 library, I tried the uribeacon example.

I got the following errors likely because my board is an nRF52 not an nRF51. If these errors are fixable please let me know. Also you mentioned at the end of your response that it is not possible to scan for beacons using these devices and that may be my real problem. Sadface...

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Arduino: 1.8.12 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Feather nRF52832, 0.3.2 SoftDevice s132 6.1.1, Level 0 (Release)"

In file included from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/Adafruit_BLE.h:42:0,
                 from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/examples/uribeacon/uribeacon.ino:17:
/Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/utility/common_header.h: In function 'bool is_within(uint32_t, uint32_t, uint32_t)':
/Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/utility/common_header.h:74:20: error: redefinition of 'bool is_within(uint32_t, uint32_t, uint32_t)'
 static inline bool is_within(uint32_t lower, uint32_t value, uint32_t upper)
                    ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from /Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/rtos.h:45:0,
                 from /Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/Arduino.h:47,
                 from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/examples/uribeacon/uribeacon.ino:15:
/Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/common_func.h:279:20: note: 'bool is_within(uint32_t, uint32_t, uint32_t)' previously defined here
 static inline bool is_within(uint32_t lower, uint32_t value, uint32_t upper)
                    ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/Adafruit_BLE.h:43:0,
                 from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/examples/uribeacon/uribeacon.ino:17:
/Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/utility/errors.h: At global scope:
/Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/utility/errors.h:112:53: error: redeclaration of 'ERROR_NONE'
     ERROR_NONE                                    = 0x0000,   ///< Successful command
                                                     ^~~~~~
In file included from /Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/Arduino.h:26:0,
                 from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/examples/uribeacon/uribeacon.ino:15:
/Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/wiring_constants.h:65:3: note: previous declaration '<unnamed enum> ERROR_NONE'
   ERROR_NONE = 0
   ^~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/Adafruit_BLE.h:43:0,
/Users/jandolina/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_BluefruitLE_nRF51/utility/errors.h:196:3: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef enum err_t err_t'
 } err_t;
   ^~~~~
In file included from /Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/Arduino.h:26:0,
/Users/jandolina/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.20.1/cores/nRF5/wiring_constants.h:61:18: note: previous declaration as 'typedef uint32_t err_t'
 typedef uint32_t err_t;
                  ^~~~~
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather nRF52832.

phando

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.