Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

bluefruit le friend sniffer firmware version
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

bluefruit le friend sniffer firmware version

by Stroker347 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Is the latest Nordic nRf sniffer V3.1 firmware compatible with the Bluefruit LE Friend sniffer?

Stroker347

Re: bluefruit le friend sniffer firmware version

by Stroker347 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Typical of forums we have to answer our own questions. After adding an SWD connector to my Bluefruit LE Friend Sniffer V2 Firmware device, I was able to flash the latest Nordic Sniffer V3 firmware "sniffer_pca10028_129d2b3.hex" to the device and it seems to work well with the minor exception that the blue led no longer lights. Even after re-flashing the V2 beta firmware "sniffer_pca10028_51296aa.hex" file, which is supposed to be the pre-loaded version, the blue led still didn't work. To perform the flashing I used the Nordic "nRF Connect for Desktop", Programmer module, and my Segger JLink EDU mini programmer hardware. Upon opening the Programmer module the JLink EDU mini showed up as a selectable device and the Add HEX File option allowed browsing to the location of the new firmware. Then it was as easy as selecting "Erase & write".
With the V3 firmware installed the device appears to work seamlessly with Wireshark 3.2.4 and Python 3.8. Previously with V2 firmware I experienced some Wireshark crashes when starting, stopping and refreshing the sniffer capture.
Eventually I'll try flashing some non-sniffer firmware to the device to see if the blue led is dead (I'm sure, however, that it was lit just prior to flashing so I don't think it was damaged due to soldering).

Stroker347

by Stroker347 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm

I did upload firmware that is native to the non-sniffer Bluefruit LE Friend and it appears to do everything its supposed to and all the leds light up as they should. I was also able to perform an update over-the-air using the Bluefruit Connect app running on an Android phone. So I conclude that the device is working properly and I can now switch between the sniffer firmware and the non-sniffer firmware with just a few clicks of a mouse using the Nordic nRF Connect for Desktop, Programming module.

Stroker347

by Stroker347 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:57 pm

For anyone adventurous enough to have performed an installation of the Nordic V3.1 sniffer firmware on their Bluefruit LE Friend device, I figured out what was needed to get the Blue LED functioning again. The sniffer firmware file "sniffer_pca10028_1292b3.hex" was written for the Nordic nRF51 DK board, which has four LEDs that are connected to the nRF51822 GPIO pins 21 thru 24. whereas the LE Friend has a Red and Blue LED connected to the nRF51822 GPIO pins 18 and 19 respectively. The sniffer firmware toggles LED1 to show BLE radio activity. To get the LE Friend Blue LED to flash, the pin selection number must be switched from 21 to 19 in the firmware. The selected pins for the LEDs are hardcoded into firmware starting at hex file address 0x3465 for pin 21 (0x15). Replacing 0x15 with 0x13 will change the selection for LED1 to pin 19. With this simple change the LE Friend Blue LED will flash in response to the radio receiving packets from valid BLE addresses. When the sniffer capture address is set, the LED only flashes when receiving packets for that address. I suspect that a similar change was made by Adafruit technicians to get the LED working with the as supplied V2 sniffer firmware, but they may not be legally allowed to make their modified file available for customer installation.

Stroker347

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.