Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ATWINC1500
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ATWINC1500

by MJAChapman on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:03 am

Hi

I have purchased 2 M0+ ATWINC1500 Feathers and I'm curious about the use of the ATWINC1500 ENable feature. According to the ATWINC1500 datasheet when the ATWINC1500 is disabled the control pins from the M0+ should be disabled. I guess that means either tristated or pulled high to prevent excessive current flowing through the I-O. How is this done or is it not an issue?

I was planning to use the ENable pin to minimise the power consumed by the project.

MJAChapman

Re: ATWINC1500

by mikeysklar on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm

Good question about the enable pin. I see in our pinout guide that is just mentioned as a high / low setting.

#2 - used as the ENable pin for the WiFi module, by default pulled down low, set HIGH to enable WiFi

You might be interested in using some of this options for low power modes that do not have to be manually initiated with the enable pin. Each is a little different so you can learn more as you scroll down the pinouts page to the power management section.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... ll#pinouts

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE

WiFi.setSleepMode(M2M_PS_H_AUTOMATIC, 1); // go into power save mode when possible!

WiFi.lowPowerMode();

WiFi.setSleepMode(M2M_PS_MANUAL, 1);

WiFi.requestSleep(sleeptimeinmilliseconds)

mikeysklar

by MJAChapman on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:16 am

Thanks for your response.

Just so you understand the WiFi is used to configure some battery powered equipment prior to deployment and post deployment to recover the stored data. The deployment can be in excess of 30 days so during that period the battery consumption should be a close to zero as is possible.

I had seen those modes but the consumption using the ENable pin seems to give the lowest current but there is the issue of no signal on the ATWINC1500 control pins causing excessive current through the I-O pins.

The ENable pin is fed through to the MCU so I assume it is intended to be used. I was thinking that the pin-mode could be used to change the pins inputs with pullups?

MJAChapman

by MJAChapman on Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi

I have just had a look at your ATCWIN1500 breakout board and it almost does it!

If the level shifter OE was connected to the ENable pin the outputs of the level shifter would tristate! I think this wold make it safe to use the ENable pin to shutdown the ATCWIN1500 module and achieve the very low supply current. I might be able to drill out a via and connect the OE to ENable. What do you think?

MJAChapman

by mikeysklar on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:28 pm

When turning pull the ENable pin low were you still measuring a significant current draw? If so, then it would make sense to break out the ENable pin as you suggest.

mikeysklar

by MJAChapman on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 am

I Have purchased some breakout boards and will try the modification.

Apart from modifying the OE on the level shifter a 1M pull-down is required on the ATWINC1500 ENable pin which they recommend anyway.

MJAChapman

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.