Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer

by aheiphetz on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:43 pm

I am working with Adafruit BLE sniffer and wireshark. The only communication that I can see is the one happening on the link layer. I cannot see any upper level communication, for example ATT protocol. Could you give me an idea of what could be the problem.

aheiphetz

Re: Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer

by pickledpineapplepie on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

I have this same question. I recently purchased a BLE Sniffer V2. I have it working in Wireshark. I see a stream of Advertisement packets. I select the device I am interested in in the nRF Sniffer toolbar. Then I pair the device to my phone. At that point I see a CONNECT_REQ. It seems like I should then start to see Empty PDU packets but I don't. I change settings using the phone app and I see no relevant packets in Wireshark.

Is there possibly a limitation of the sniffer that I am hitting? I don't know what bluetooth version my device is using. Is it possible that BLE 5 packets are incompatible with the sniffer out of the box?

pickledpineapplepie

by pbennett45 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Don't suppose either of you figured this out? Whenever I try to filter on a device it crashes the device.... wireshark tells me the com port disappeared. I need to unplug/reinsert the usb stick to get it alive again..... it'll stream advertising packets all day, either all devices or filtered on a signle device... but as soon as I filter on a device that's connected, it dies. Assume this is similar or same as your issue...

pbennett45

by pickledpineapplepie on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 pm

No, I never got it working with the sniffer. Though your issue sounds different from mine. For me, the device never crashed, it just didn't show the packets I was expecting. I did discover that android can log its Bluetooth traffic to a packet file that can be examined with Wireshark. So that is what I ended up using. See https://stackoverflow.com/q/23877761 or just search for "Android HCI snoop log".

pickledpineapplepie

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.