Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aheiphetz

Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer

Post by aheiphetz »

I am working with Adafruit BLE sniffer and wireshark. The only communication that I can see is the one happening on the link layer. I cannot see any upper level communication, for example ATT protocol. Could you give me an idea of what could be the problem.

pickledpineapplepie

Re: Cannot capture ATT protocol with BLE sniffer

Post by pickledpineapplepie »

I have this same question. I recently purchased a BLE Sniffer V2. I have it working in Wireshark. I see a stream of Advertisement packets. I select the device I am interested in in the nRF Sniffer toolbar. Then I pair the device to my phone. At that point I see a CONNECT_REQ. It seems like I should then start to see Empty PDU packets but I don't. I change settings using the phone app and I see no relevant packets in Wireshark.

Is there possibly a limitation of the sniffer that I am hitting? I don't know what bluetooth version my device is using. Is it possible that BLE 5 packets are incompatible with the sniffer out of the box?

pbennett45

Post by pbennett45 »

Don't suppose either of you figured this out? Whenever I try to filter on a device it crashes the device.... wireshark tells me the com port disappeared. I need to unplug/reinsert the usb stick to get it alive again..... it'll stream advertising packets all day, either all devices or filtered on a signle device... but as soon as I filter on a device that's connected, it dies. Assume this is similar or same as your issue...

pickledpineapplepie

Post by pickledpineapplepie »

No, I never got it working with the sniffer. Though your issue sounds different from mine. For me, the device never crashed, it just didn't show the packets I was expecting. I did discover that android can log its Bluetooth traffic to a packet file that can be examined with Wireshark. So that is what I ended up using. See https://stackoverflow.com/q/23877761 or just search for "Android HCI snoop log".

Alabama2000

Post by Alabama2000 »

Same for me. No crash, no ATT data. Is it this device realy working or is it just a scam to get our money? I use V2 and in paralel I use TI sniffer. On TI I sow connet/data packet. On V2 nothing.

dlktdr

Post by dlktdr »

Having same issue here. I can see Scan_req, Adv_ind. but no data..?

Anyone make any progress on this issue

Thinner

Post by Thinner »

Hi,

i've bought a Sniffer Board recently, it was labeled as V2. I couldn't see any ATT packets too with extcap 2.0.0b1. I've read the firmware using JLink and compared to the V2 hex file nrf_sniffer_2.0.0-beta-1_51296aa.hex (https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... sniffer-v2). They were different. The firmware on my device was binary identical with the file ble-sniffer_nRF51822_1.0.1_1111_Sniffer_No32kHz.hex.

After upgrading the firmware to 3.0.0 and using corresponding extcap folder it works good.

wbr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”