Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

ESP32 wifi shield not found - with Metro 328 Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ESP32 wifi shield not found - with Metro 328 Arduino

by teppe on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:50 am

I have an Airlift wifi shield (ADA4285) which I've installed/soldered to a Metro 328 board (ADA2488). The Arduino board works fine, as proven by running a couple simple sketches. However, the wifi shield is not working.

I used a couple different sketches that I copied from other forums on the web, and it appears that the wifi is inactive. One of the sketches attempted to find the MAC address, which came back 00.00.00. One of the sketches attempted to search for any available networks and none were found. One of the sketches simply said "wifi shield not found".

I verified with a DVM that the voltage to the wifi shield is 3.3v and 5.0v to the pinouts on the shield, so it's apparently getting power. Also, when I press the reset button on the wifi shield it causes the red LED on the Metro board to blink, so they are apparently communicating with each other.

Other than soldering all the header pins (including the 2x3 header) are there additional connections that I need to make? I noticed in the tutorial ( https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... or/pinouts ) it says there are two "required control pins", the BUSY and RST pinouts. If they need to be connected, what do I connect them to?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tom
Attachments
Airlift wifi shield.jpg
Here's the shield after soldering
Airlift wifi shield.jpg (31.98 KiB) Viewed 149 times

teppe

Re: ESP32 wifi shield not found - with Metro 328 Arduino

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Please post a larger photo so we can clearly see your soldering. 800x600 is a good size.

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Here's a larger photo.
thx
Attachments
Airlift wifi shield_big.jpg
Airlift wifi shield_big.jpg (465.88 KiB) Viewed 145 times

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:01 pm

The soldering on the 6-pin ICSP header has a few suspicious solder joints. The MISO pin has too much solder on it and the MOSI pin does not appear to have any solder at all.

Also, digital pin 7 appears to be a cold joint.

These are all essential pins for operation of the board. Please refer to this guide for some tips on identifying and fixing common soldering problems:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:48 pm

OK, I re-soldered several of the ugly pins, but still have no luck getting the wifi shield to work.

After re-soldering and still no luck, I disassembled the shield and verified continuity of every pin on the header to the shield. So even though some of the solder joints may not look perfect, they all have continuity.

I carefully followed the instructions on the Adafruit site for using the ESP32 shield with Arduino ( https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... or/arduino ) . I installed the WIFININA library, changed the pin definitions in the sketch to be compatible with the ESP32, and ran the ScanNetworks example code. The serial monitor output says:

WiFi Scanning test
Communication with WiFi module failed!

By the way, the AirLift shield I'm using is brand new, but the Metro 328 was purchased in April 2018 (never used). Could this be a compatibility/firmware issue?

-Tom
Attachments
IMG_8861.JPG
After re-soldering some of the connections
IMG_8861.JPG (814.95 KiB) Viewed 139 times

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 am

Try putting an SD card in the SD slot and run the CardInfo example sketch rom the SD library.

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:20 am

I inserted an SD card that I know is good since it has a couple files saved to it.

I opened the CardInfo sketch from the Examples/SD folder. I changed the chip select line near the beginning of the program to match the wifi shield: (const int chipSelect = 10;)

I downloaded the sketch, and get this on the serial monitor:

Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:
* is a card inserted?
* is your wiring correct?
* did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module?

When I press the reset button on the wifi shield or the reset button on the Metro card, it re-starts the sketch, as I'd expect.

Wifi shield still doesn't work.

-Tom

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:40 am

Both the SD card and the WiFi use the SPI interface. So it looks like there is a problem with the SPI signals.

Please post a photo of the back of the shield. And also please post a photo of the Arduino you are plugging it into.

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am

I assume that the SPI interface that you're talking about is the 2x3 pin ICSP header on the side of the board? I can take a photo of the back side of the shield this evening when I get home.

Let me be sure my assembly is correct ........ The way I connected the 2X3 pinouts was to solder them to a 2X3 header which is facing the Metro board. This 2X3 header plugs directly into the Metro board with all the other pins that engage when I plug the shield in. Is this correct?

I've attached a photo of my Arduino board (Metro 328).

-Tom
Attachments
my Metro 328 board.jpg
my Arduino board (Metro 328)
my Metro 328 board.jpg (428.94 KiB) Viewed 130 times

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:15 am

Let me be sure my assembly is correct ........ The way I connected the 2X3 pinouts was to solder them to a 2X3 header which is facing the Metro board. This 2X3 header plugs directly into the Metro board with all the other pins that engage when I plug the shield in. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. All of the SPI signals (except for the CS) are supplied via the ICSP header. On the Metro 328, they are also available via pins 11-13.

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:55 pm

I will send a photo of the back side of the wifi shield in a few hours when I get home.

For troubleshooting the SPI interface, would you suggest that I verify continuity from the shield SPI pinouts to pins 11, 12 & 13 on the Metro board? If so, which pinouts in the 2X3 SPI matrix correspond to CLK, MISO, MOSI, etc?

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 pm

The ICSP pin mapping on the Metro is the same as for the UNO (and all current generation Arduino compatibles).

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 pm

I probed the pinouts from the SPI breakout on the wifi shield (with it plugged into the Metro), and found perhaps one issue:

The Reset pin has continuity with the RST pin on the Analog side of the shield, but no continuity to digital pin 5 on the Digital side of the Metro board.

Is this a problem?

-Tom

p.s. also included photo of back side of wifi shield, as requested.
Attachments
wifi airlift shield - backside.JPG
Back side of my ESP32 Airlift wifi shield
wifi airlift shield - backside.JPG (567.65 KiB) Viewed 122 times

teppe

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 am

The Reset pin has continuity with the RST pin on the Analog side of the shield, but no continuity to digital pin 5 on the Digital side of the Metro board.

Is this a problem?

No. The main Arduino reset is different from the reset pin for the ESP32 WiFi chip.

One more thing to check with your multimeter:

With the shield installed on your Metro, check the continuity between the following pins from the image below:

The labeled CS breakout and pin 10
The labeled MOSI breakout and pin 11.
The labeled MISO breakout and pin 12.
The labeled CLK breakout and pin 13.
Attachments
breakouts.jpg
breakouts.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 116 times

adafruit_support_bill

by teppe on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 pm

I just checked, and verified there is continuity between all 4 pairs:

CS to pin 10
MOSI to pin 11
MISO to pin 12
CLK to pin 13

teppe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.