🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

Pi Zero W having trouble connecting to and using wifi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pi Zero W having trouble connecting to and using wifi

by levilutz on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:14 pm

I recently purchased a Pi Zero W and have been trying to get it to work on my wifi network. I flashed it with the latest Raspbian Lite (no desktop environment) and put wifi information in wpa_supplicant.conf in the boot partition. From the first boot it's had issues connecting to and using wifi, despite my router being inches away and all other network devices functioning without issues. More specifically, it often fails to connect to wifi at all on boot. This is evident as var/log/syslog show some boots log:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Aug 28 07:17:20 raspberrypi dhcpcd[306]: wlan0: connected to Access Point `'

While other boots log:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Aug 28 03:09:13 raspberrypi dhcpcd[307]: wlan0: connected to Access Point `HomeNetwork'

Even when it does successfully connect, pings often take several thousand ms or are never replied. Connecting over ssh works (albeit extremely slowly due to all the lost packets) and no other issues are evident. Is this just a defective pi or is there something I'm missing with the setup? My network runs smoothly otherwise, with several Pi 4s actively using wired and wireless connections without issue.

levilutz

Re: Pi Zero W having trouble connecting to and using wifi

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Is the problem repeatable? Start over with a fresh image, edit the wpa_supplicant file, etc.

How are you powering the Pi? Is there anything else attached to the Pi?

adafruit_support_carter

by levilutz on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Yes, it is repeatable. Several fresh images and restarts all have the same result. No peripherals attached, and I've tried 5V1A and 5V2A power. Connections over ethernet are always normal, and connections over wifi are always messed up. Connections to different wireless networks always have the same result.

levilutz

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Connections over ethernet are always normal, and connections over wifi are always messed up.

It's a Pi Zero W - how are you connecting via ethernet?

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.