Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Raspberry Pi 3 - Wifi Hotspot not detected
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi 3 - Wifi Hotspot not detected

by devonn on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 pm

I purchased my raspberry pi 3 model B on Friday, September 4, 2020 (Invoice No. 235864) (Order ID: P01-0422558-9821050 through Amazon pay).

When my package got delivered, I was sad to see that the boxes containing the board and the power supply were both badly damaged from the shipping process (see attached photos).
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 96 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 96 times

I was going to use this raspberry pi to run astroprint for my 3D printer, so I figured I might as well try to see if it was still functioning. After trying many different methods from astroprint's main website and reading many forums, I could not find the wifi hotspot anywhere on any of my other devices. I can connect it through ethernet, but all connection is lost when attempting to setup the wifi connection.

Since the Astroprint setup is very simple and straight forward to do with a pre-flashed sd card, I find it very hard to believe that I made an error in the 3 step process: inserting the pre-flashed drive into the slot, inserting the correct wifi dongle for the hotspot, and connecting to the astroprint through wifi on any device.

TLDR: I assume that the board has a defective wifi hotspot/connection, but let me know if there is anything that I could have missed in the setup process.

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

devonn

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 - Wifi Hotspot not detected

by mikeysklar on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi Devonn,

Do you have an external WiFi dongle that is Pi compatible? I ask because looking at the AstroPrint site they seem to encourage an external WiFi be used with the Pi 3.

https://blog.astroprint.com/astroprint- ... 3-support/

Regardless, if you would like us to replace the Pi we can make that arrangement. Although I would ask you to load a copy of the latest PiOS just to confirm the WiFi is not appearing.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-os/

mikeysklar

by devonn on Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Would I just have to install the OS and check if there is a wifi signal, or would I have to download a script editor as well?

devonn

by devonn on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:05 pm

After installing the new OS, the wifi situation has not changed.

devonn

by mikeysklar on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Okay, let's swap it out.

Please send an e-mail to support@adafruit.com

Require a replacement for your Pi 3. Include your order# and a link to this forum thread.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.