🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

AirLift not found by UNO; suspect bad board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AirLift not found by UNO; suspect bad board

by ewhansen on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:19 pm

I bought three AirLift shields. Tested each on an UNO R3 with an external 2.5A power supply. The ScanNetworks example works with two of them. The program throws the "Communication with WiFi failed!" message with the third shield. How do I return it for a replacement?

ewhansen

Re: AirLift not found by UNO; suspect bad board

by mikeysklar on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi ewhansen,

Would you mind uploading some photos of the soldering on the third Airlift shield in question. Since you have two working this is probably a non-issue, but we need to verify the soldering on the headers.

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Here you go.

Eric
Attachments
6pins.jpg
6pins.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Headers2.jpg
Headers2.jpg (229.09 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Headers1.jpg
Headers1.jpg (213.62 KiB) Viewed 203 times

ewhansen

by mikeysklar on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:28 am

Nice soldering. Thank you for the photos.

Please contact support@adafruit.com via e-mail with a replacement request for your AirLift shield. Include your original order number, date of purchase and a link to this forum thread.

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am

Got it, thanks!

ewhansen

by teppe on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:05 am

I'm having the same problem with not only the first Airlift shield I purchased a few weeks ago, but also the replacement shield:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=168719#p825669

-Tom

teppe

by mikeysklar on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi teppe,

Please start a new thread for yours.

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Just got the replacement Airlift shield, and soldered up the headers. I am chagrined, puzzled, and perhaps embarrassed, to report that it, too, fails to connect to WiFi. I wrote a little sketch to simply tell the ESP32 over the SPI bus to activate the LED, and that doesn't work, either (though it works fine on my known good board).

I went over all the solder joints, and they look fine. I verified continuity with an ohmmeter from each pin to its adjacent breakout pad. I also checked adjacent pins for shorts, all were fine except for the two adjacent grounds (of course), and (mysteriously), the 5V pin and the ground (but only in one direction --- perhaps I'm seeing the regulator there?).

Happy to toss both failed boards into an envelope and send them to you to look at. I want to know if I'm doing something wrong, since I need to prepare twenty of these to ship out for an online class next semester!

Thanks much.

ewhansen

by mikeysklar on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:09 am

This has got to be a firmware issue on the ESP32.

That is usually regulator for the GND/5v ona board so I wouldn't sweat that for now.

Start with trying to reload the current firmware. Instructions here. It might requiring trying a few different versions.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... t-firmware

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:53 pm

I think I'm caught in an eddy on that webpage.

At "Upload Serial Passthrough Code for Feather or ItsyBitsy", I am directed to the "Code Arduino Passthrough" section. I don't see that header farther down the page, but I do see the download for SerialESPPassthrough.ino, so I downloaded that.

A little farther down, after the source code for the sketch, I am instructed "If you're using the AirLift FeatherWing, AirLift Shield or AirLift Bitsy Add-On, use the PassThrough UF2 instructions above", which, since I'm using the AirLift shield (on an UNO, by the way), sends me back up to the FeatherWing section. I rattled around here for a while, but before I tell you about that, please clarify just what part of the page I'm supposed to be working from for an Airlift shield on an UNO. Thanks!

ewhansen

by mikeysklar on Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:38 am

Just to clarify using this shield on an UNO. It will work, but we do not recommend them due to memory constraint.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... r/overview

We've tested this with all our Metros and it should work just fine with them except the Metro M4 Airlifts (because they already have WiFi!). For use in Arduino, the '328 and '32u4 you can do basic connectivity and data transfer but they do not have a lot of RAM so we don't recommend them - use the Metro M0, M4 or similar, for best results! For CircuitPython use, a Metro M4 works best - the M0 series does not have enough RAM in CircuitPython.

You are on the right track using the SerialESPPassthrough.ino which does know your UNO board. That second code blurb whcih directs you back to the featherwings can be ignored.

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank you. I've tested the AirLift shield with the UNO, and there is enough memory for the simple things I need to do. So no worries there.

As far as using it to reload the firmware on the ESP32, I suspect there's another issue. The SerialESPPassthrough sketch tries to open "Serial1" for a UART connection to the ESP32. However, as I dig further into this, my understanding is that the UNO has only one serial port, and when I compile the sketch it tells me that Serial1 (aka SerialESP32) is not declared. Just for fun, I edited line 68 to use Serial rather than Serial1, and not surprisingly, when I ran it I got the message that the /dev/tty.usbmodem14401 port was already in use and couldn't be opened.

I can borrow a Metro from a colleague, and will try that next.

ewhansen

by mikeysklar on Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Good find on the single UART the UNO has. I suppose soft serial could be an option as well.

mikeysklar

by ewhansen on Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Carrying on with a Metro M0 Express. SerialESPPassthrough runs, with the attached printout. Then esptool.py appears to fail to connect.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 4.50.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 4.50.17 PM.png (80.87 KiB) Viewed 128 times

t2475:site-packages d20226s$ python esptool.py --port /dev/cu.usbmodem14401 --before no_reset --baud 115200 write_flash 0 ~/Desktop/NINA_W102-1.6.1.bin
esptool.py v2.8
Serial port /dev/cu.usbmodem14401
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

Over to you. Thanks for your help.

ewhansen

by mikeysklar on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 am

A few suggestions to try from github thread on failed connections with esptool.py.

https://github.com/espressif/esptool/issues/293

Thanks for providing those details. The trace indicates that no data at all was received from the ESP8266. Please check the following:

Correct serial connections https://github.com/espressif/esptool#serial-connections
Correct boot mode selection (see https://github.com/espressif/esptool/wi ... -Selection) - you'll need to hold GPIO0 while pressing and releasing Reset, and then run esptool.py.
Try the troubleshooting issues mentioned in the README: https://github.com/espressif/esptool#bo ... nt-respond

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.