Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Did I buy the correct device? Or was I cheated?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Did I buy the correct device? Or was I cheated?

by vktnbch on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:11 am

Hi Adafruit!

I have a little problem and I am now doubting my sanity! Or was I cheated?

In 2016 I bought a stick on Amazon which was titled "Bluefruit LE Sniffer - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) - nRF51822".
You can see the corresponding picture from Amazon in picture 2016.
The photos of the real stick as it is in front of me can be seen in the collage on the right side.

I wanted to experiment with it and sniff BLE - hence the purchase of a sniffer.
Back in 2016 I had problems to get the thing running with Wireshark and then I lost the desire for it and postponed the experiments until later.
A few weeks ago I got the thing out again and tried to update the firmware via the app as described on the website.
Unfortunately I can't get the thing into DFU mode. The Bluefruit Connect App "does not see the stick". Basically, nothing of the things described in your website works. When I plug it into the USB port, the blue LED flickers immediately and in a serial terminal I get data displayed.

I did some research and saw that there is a new version of the stick, where the cooperation with Wireshark should be better and since Wireshark is my focus, I simply ordered this one. This time the product was titled "Bluefruit LE Sniffer - Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) - nRF51822".
It's still on Amazon but with an old picture I guess: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00SKW ... UTF8&psc=1
The - very bad - photo from Amazon is the picture 2020 and on the collage you can see the real stick on the left side.
And also this stick doesn't appear in the app and doesn't go into DFU mode. Same thing as with the 2016 one.

Both sticks have "Friend" - not "Sniffer" on the backside. But this is also the case with the photos from your product page.

My question is now: what did I buy there? Can these things sniff? And if so: how????

Thanks for your advice and best regards
Volker

51F6PBZN8YL._AC_.jpg
51F6PBZN8YL._AC_.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 119 times

31lq4h3YqLL._SY90_.jpg
31lq4h3YqLL._SY90_.jpg (2.11 KiB) Viewed 119 times

PXL_20200927_143814898-COLLAGE.jpg
Collage
PXL_20200927_143814898-COLLAGE.jpg (445.42 KiB) Viewed 119 times

vktnbch

Re: Did I buy the correct device? Or was I cheated?

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:17 pm

I *think* you're OK. That product has undergone several revisions. There's a summary on the bottom of the product page:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2269
What you have looks correct for the current product.

This product only differs from the BLE Friend by the firmware that comes loaded. That's why the silk screen says "Friend". For reference, this is the "Friend" version:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2267

The sniffers work differently than the friend version. Try working through the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... le-sniffer
and if you run into issues specific to what is shown there, reply back here with details.

adafruit_support_carter

by vktnbch on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 am

Thank you very much for the clarification!
I guess I got confused with the terms and didn't even notice that everything is okay.
In fact both sniffers work with the current Python3 Sniffer API and Wireshark!

vktnbch

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Nice! Glad they're working. Happy sniffing!

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.