Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

BLE Sniffer runs but dies
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

BLE Sniffer runs but dies

by pbennett45 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:18 pm

I got it up and running in wireshark.... with a mix of instructions from nRF and adafruit.... The Adafruit instructions seem to be half out of date (like things that tell you you need python 2 when the latest stuff from nRF uses 3)... and the nRF is generalized to the chip not the adafruit device. But I got it that far. I can see the "hey I'm here come back to me" broadcast packets when I select "show all advertising devices" in the nRF toolbar. But then I select a single device to see all the packets to/from that device and it crashes the usb stick. Wireshark says the com port disappeared. Sometimes the red light comes on. Just dies.. end up needed to unplug/replug the USB stick. Any ideas?!?

pbennett45

Re: BLE Sniffer runs but dies

by pbennett45 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:50 pm

A little more followup info. Seems to be fine for things that aren't connected... it seems like it'll show me advertising packets, scan requests and responses, etc... all day... can filter on devices, change the device, etc.... As soon as I connect to the device I'm filtered on to .. ya know... sniff.... it dies, wireshark tells me the comm port isn't there anymore, need to unplug...

I thought at first maybe it was the build in windows USB to UART driver (wasn't sure if I followed the instructions for the SiLabs driver here https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... er-install) so I reinstalled that.. checked in device mangler it had the right driver... seemed ok. But kept getting the problem with the driver reinstall and reboot.

Any ideas? Sniffing a bunch of advertising packets isn't too useful, so I assume there's some way to use this $30 thing for real?

pbennett45

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.