Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

ESP32 WiFi Shield needs updated firmware?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ESP32 WiFi Shield needs updated firmware?

by teppe on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:39 pm

I've been watching the post by ewhansen regarding wifi shields he received that didn't work until he upgraded the firmware. Here's the link to his postings: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=169641

I think I have the same problem, which I tried to solve on my separate thread, found here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=168719 Since that thread has been dormant for awhile, I thought I'd start a new one.

As I said, I followed along with the ewhansen thread and started going through the process of attempting to upgrade the firmware. I soldered the three pairs of pads together, connected the shield per the instructions, and downloaded Python, but I get errors during the compiling of the SerialPassThrough sketch. Error regarding the neopixel not declared and an error saying Serial1 not defined.

I realize now that the ewhansen thread mentioned that the 328P UNO board doesn't have the required Serial1 port? I am using the Metro 328P board (ADA#2488) so perhaps I can't do the firmware upgrade. Is this true? In the case of ewhansen, he apparently purchased an M0 or M4 board to allow him to upgrade the firmware. For those of us like me who don't have an M0 or M4 board, can I send this WiFi shield (Airlift ADA#4285) back to Adafruit for the firmware upgrade?

Regards,
Tom

teppe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.