Wifi101 firmware Update Fails-Programmer not responding

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Pishi64

Re: Wifi101 firmware Update Fails-Programmer not responding

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Pishi64,

Would love to see your CoViD project in with display and network. Post here when you get things going.
Mike,
Would like to do that when it's finished.

Mike a bit of update. I carefully followed the instruction and here is how my setup and connections look like:
IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg (906.69 KiB) Viewed 283 times
When I run the Firmwareversion checker: It can not find the shield (Shield not Found).

Few points here:
  • On the Wifi shield I see both CLK and SCL--(i) SCL to Mega or (ii) CLK to Mega 52 produced the same error
I'm not sure which one should be connected to Mega 52!!
  • With multimeter I checked every single connection--All working with tiny impedance.
  • When I press the reset button on shield I see no response being produced by the Mega board
  • When I assemble the shield on top of the Mega board I can check the firmware with no issues.
  • I added this code to the sketch too

Code: Select all

WiFi.setPins(8,7,4);
Any thoughts?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Wiring looks good. I assume those connections are soldered on the shield side?

The WINC1500 CLK <--> Mega p52

To be clear this is the three pins on the shield you are interested in connecting with for SPI:
adafruit_products_spi.jpg
adafruit_products_spi.jpg (184.33 KiB) Viewed 274 times
Is your brown wire connected to the breadboard positive rail from the mega 5v or 3v? I can't quite make that out in the photo.

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Wiring looks good. I assume those connections are soldered on the shield side?

To be clear this is the three pins on the shield you are interested in connecting with for SPI:
Is your brown wire connected to the breadboard positive rail from the mega 5v or 3v? I can't quite make that out in the photo.
The connections are not soldered on the shield side as I wanted to make sure of the connections first. The short brown wire is connected to the 5v.

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

Pishi64 wrote:
mikeysklar wrote:Wiring looks good. I assume those connections are soldered on the shield side?

The connections are not soldered on the shield side as I wanted to make sure of the connections first. The short brown wire is connected to the 5v.
Update: I soldered the connections on the shield side but still I get the "Shield Not Found" error.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@pishi64,

I am seeing references to the ICSP header on the WINC1500 needing to connect to the mega 2560 to make things work in addition to the pin changes we discussed.

https://forum.atmosphereiot.com/t/devic ... und/328/18
I bought the shield, and it plugs right into the Mega board. I did have to add the ICSP header, it wouldn’t work AT ALL without it.

Now, it’s better, it picked up the WINC1500. However, it wouldn’t let me add network settings (said something like “some settings are not applicable” in red print), and I can’t figure out how to get back in to try again
Also interesting they are using 3.3v instead 5v in this example.

Arduino		WINC1500
-------		--------
Pin 5	=>	RST
Pin 7   => 	IRQ
Pin 10	=> 	CS
3.3V	=>	VIN
3.3V	=>	EN
3.3V	=> 	CFG
GND	=> 	GND
Pin 51	=> 	MOSI
Pin 50	=> 	MISO
Pin 52	=> 	SCK

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:@pishi64,

I am seeing references to the ICSP header on the WINC1500 needing to connect to the mega 2560 to make things work in addition to the pin changes we discussed.

https://forum.atmosphereiot.com/t/devic ... und/328/18
I bought the shield, and it plugs right into the Mega board. I did have to add the ICSP header, it wouldn’t work AT ALL without it.

Now, it’s better, it picked up the WINC1500. However, it wouldn’t let me add network settings (said something like “some settings are not applicable” in red print), and I can’t figure out how to get back in to try again
Also interesting they are using 3.3v instead 5v in this example.

Arduino		WINC1500
-------		--------
Pin 5	=>	RST
Pin 7   => 	IRQ
Pin 10	=> 	CS
3.3V	=>	VIN
3.3V	=>	EN
3.3V	=> 	CFG
GND	=> 	GND
Pin 51	=> 	MOSI
Pin 50	=> 	MISO
Pin 52	=> 	SCK
Thanks Mike,
Couple of questions:
  • I don't see CFG n the wifi shield !, where is that one?
  • I need to attach the ICSP header as well? with all these wires already attached? Should I get femal-to-male wires?
BTW, I have ordered an authentic Arduino Mega!:D

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The ICSP connector is already populated with male headers on the mega. You would be soldering a female header to 2x3 size to connect into on the underside of the WiFi shield.

I would have encouraged you to not use another Mega and use an Arduino UNO or Metro for this shield as those are what we have the most experience with. Regardless I'm sure you will get it going.
icsp.jpg
icsp.jpg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 248 times
You can ignore the CFG pin. I don't see it either, but looking at our pinouts page for the WINC1500 we recommend not connecting it:

CFG - allows you to select between SPI (default) or UART data transport. Since we don't have any UART code, keep disconnected
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-atw ... ut/pinouts

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:The ICSP connector is already populated with male headers on the mega. You would be soldering a female header to 2x3 size to connect into on the underside of the WiFi shield.

I would have encouraged you to not use another Mega and use an Arduino UNO or Metro for this shield as those are what we have the most experience with. Regardless I'm sure you will get it going.
icsp.jpg
You can ignore the CFG pin. I don't see it either, but looking at our pinouts page for the WINC1500 we recommend not connecting it:

CFG - allows you to select between SPI (default) or UART data transport. Since we don't have any UART code, keep disconnected
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-atw ... ut/pinouts
Thanks again Mike,
I need to choose an alternative board that can run both WifiShield and the Adafruit's RGBScreen shield. Any suggestion?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Arduino UNO would be the most straight forward to get going as it is used in both guide pages for the WiFi shield and RGB LCD shield.

The Metro M4 express would have a lot more memory and CPU performance which could make for a more enjoyable process while having an Arduino UNO like pinout so not being so different than the example wiring.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3382

Maybe play it safe and buy one of each?

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:The Arduino UNO would be the most straight forward to get going as it is used in both guide pages for the WiFi shield and RGB LCD shield.

The Metro M4 express would have a lot more memory and CPU performance which could make for a more enjoyable process while having an Arduino UNO like pinout so not being so different than the example wiring.

Mike,
I had this Metro board in my wish list just in case kind of backup. Now that you brought it up, I decided to give it a try. I have UNO which didn't help with their low memory and performance. I'll try the Mega and this new Metro and will keep you updated.
Thanks again!

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:The Arduino UNO would be the most straight forward to get going as it is used in both guide pages for the WiFi shield and RGB LCD shield.

Hi Mike,
I bought the Metro M4 express and still I can't update the firmware. I get the same error: Programmer is not responding. Any idea how to fix this?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, glad you got a Metro M4.

How are you connecting your shield are you plugging it into the Metro M4 or are you manually wiring it? If wiring please post a photo.

Are you seeing serial output on the console? Can you provide that here?

What firmware version is currently detected?

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Okay, glad you got a Metro M4.

How are you connecting your shield are you plugging it into the Metro M4 or are you manually wiring it? If wiring please post a photo.

Are you seeing serial output on the console? Can you provide that here?

What firmware version is currently detected?
I'm using Arduino IDE 1.8.13 (on Mac) and when I run the Wifi101's check firmware version I get the below message:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 7.53.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 7.53.24 PM.jpg (186.2 KiB) Viewed 217 times
I am plugging the wifi shield directly on top of the M4 express. When I run the firmware updater, I get the error message:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.05.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.05.44 PM.png (992.77 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.06.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.06.31 PM.png (639.6 KiB) Viewed 217 times
I can switch to CircuitPython, but I already have the sketch for what I need on IDE.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Searching around the only time I see the same error with the Programmer not responding during a WiFi101 update is due to the "WiFiNINA by Arduino" library not being installed through the Arduino IDE.

Is that the case here?

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=632352.0

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Searching around the only time I see the same error with the Programmer not responding during a WiFi101 update is due to the "WiFiNINA by Arduino" library not being installed through the Arduino IDE.

Is that the case here?

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=632352.0
Mike,
It didn't work! I got whole bunch of errors like this one wen I ran the check firmware version sketch
Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51), Enabled, 120 MHz (standard), Small (-Os) (standard), 50 MHz (standard), TinyUSB, Off"

/Users/x/Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/utility/spi_drv.cpp: In static member function 'static void SpiDrv::begin()':
/Users/x/Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/utility/spi_drv.cpp:108:15: error: 'NINA_GPIO0' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'NINA_GPIOIRQ'?
108 | pinMode(NINA_GPIO0, OUTPUT);
| ^~~~~~~~~~
| NINA_GPIOIRQ
/Users/x/Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/utility/spi_drv.cpp: In static member function 'static int SpiDrv::available()':
/Users/x/Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/utility/spi_drv.cpp:65:25: error: 'NINA_GPIO0' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'NINA_GPIOIRQ'?
65 | #define NINA_GPIOIRQ NINA_GPIO0
| ^~~~~~~~~~
/Users/x/Documents/Arduino/libraries/WiFiNINA/src/utility/spi_drv.cpp:602:25: note: in expansion of macro 'NINA_GPIOIRQ'
602 | return (digitalRead(NINA_GPIOIRQ) != LOW);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~
Multiple libraries were found for "Adafruit_ZeroDMA.h"
Used: /Users/x/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/samd/1.6.6/libraries/Adafruit_ZeroDMA
Not used: /Users/arash/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_Zero_DMA_Library
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
I guess I need to try the Circuitpython and get the program going in there. I was not expecting to get this level of complications. what do you think?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”