Wifi101 firmware Update Fails-Programmer not responding

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Pishi64

Wifi101 firmware Update Fails-Programmer not responding

Post by Pishi64 »

Hi Everybody,
I have a question regarding the Wifi101 firmware update. In a nutshell, when I try to check the wifi101 firmware version I get the below message:
WiFi101 firmware check.
WiFi101 shield: WiFi101 firmware check.
WiFi101 shield: DETECTED
Firmware version installed: 19.4.4
Latest firmware version available : 19.6.1
Check result: NOT PASSED
- The firmware version on the shield do not match the
version required by the library, you may experience
issues or failures.
Following this instruction https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-atwinc1500-wifi-module-breakout/updating-firmware, I tried to resolve the issue by updating the wifi101 firmware version. But then I started getting this error (see the image attached).
Programmer not responding
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.28.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.28.57 PM.png (300.24 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Here are the boards I have :
  • Elegoo Mega 2560 R3 (cheaper equivalent of Arduino Mega 2560 - ATmega2560 micro-controller board)
  • Adafruit WINC1500 WiFi Shield with uFL Connector
When I ignore the entire " not passed" message in first hand I can run the NetworkScan example and actually see the networks, mine included but when then I try the ConnectWith WPA example file, it can't connect to my wifi device and it just prints " Attempting to connect to SSID: <My device's name>"

Long story short, I have no idea how to fix this issue, I have been Googling and reading about it. There are similar cases like this one viewtopic.php?f=31&t=91239 but I tried what they discussed and it didn't work.

Interestingly when I try the Model A wifi chip firmware(see image attached) then the programmer goes just fine and I can update the firmware to this old version. But on my wifi101 chip it writes that the chip model is B (not A). With this I can't connect to the network!!!!
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.37.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.37.18 PM.png (274.8 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Any help will be appreciate it folks
Thanks

mikeysklar

Re: Wifi101 firmware Update Fails-Programmer not responding

Post by mikeysklar »

Pishi64,

This is really starting to look like an the WiFi test that is failing is a modern macOS/bigSur (10.15.x) issue. Do you have another system you can try on (Pi, Windows, etc)?

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

Mike,
That's a good point. I didn't think about that. Let me try it with a Windows PC and will come back to you with the results.

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Pishi64,

This is really starting to look like an the WiFi test that is failing is a modern macOS/bigSur (10.15.x) issue. Do you have another system you can try on (Pi, Windows, etc)?
I checked it with Windows. Same. I still get the same result.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Pishi64,

I really appreciate you confirming on another OS that the test is failing.

Would you mind posting a readable quality photo fo the top of the WINC1500 tip 800x600 here and your antenna attachment photos?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/FirmwareUpdater

I know you have said you have a revB, but just want to confirm that and the antenna attachment.

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Pishi64,

I really appreciate you confirming on another OS that the test is failing.

Would you mind posting a readable quality photo fo the top of the WINC1500 tip 800x600 here and your antenna attachment photos?

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/FirmwareUpdater

I know you have said you have a revB, but just want to confirm that and the antenna attachment.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for coming back to this post. Sure, here I could took the below picture, I hope this is what you meant.
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG (346.29 KiB) Viewed 455 times
IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1660.jpg (528.45 KiB) Viewed 455 times
IMG_1662.jpg
IMG_1662.jpg (498.77 KiB) Viewed 455 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thanks for the photos. Great quality and always helpful with understanding your setup better.

Okay, so just to backup to the board you are using the SPI PINs on the Mega should be:

Code: Select all

... and on the MEGA, SCK is 52
... and on the MEGA, MISO is 50
... and on the MEGA, MOSI is 51
Are those pins able to be connected through the shield you are using? I suspect you wold have no issues with a UNO or Metro, but the Mega's do have their weird location issue for the SPI pins.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=102498

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Thanks for the photos. Great quality and always helpful with understanding your setup better.

Okay, so just to backup to the board you are using the SPI PINs on the Mega should be:

Code: Select all

... and on the MEGA, SCK is 52
... and on the MEGA, MISO is 50
... and on the MEGA, MOSI is 51
Are those pins able to be connected through the shield you are using? I suspect you wold have no issues with a UNO or Metro, but the Mega's do have their weird location issue for the SPI pins.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=102498
Mike,
I appreciate your kind support. That's an interesting point. I checked the Wifi shield. Below is the picture of the front and back of the shield. As I understood, the MISO and MOSI probably are communicating through pin 11 and pin 12. If you meant CLK, that s connected to pin 13 when I assemble the shield on top of the Mega board.
Shield- front
Shield- front
IMG_1671.jpg (394.83 KiB) Viewed 441 times
shield- back
shield- back
IMG_1670.jpg (348.35 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Mega borad
Mega borad
IMG_1672.jpg (380.26 KiB) Viewed 441 times
So, I should do a separate wiring then?Also, could you please clarify the CLK or SCK. There is this SC(dot) that connects to pin #10.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You only need to move the SCK / MISO and MOSI pins over to pins to make things go with a mega. You cann use pins 11/12/13 as the guide suggests for an UNO.

MEGA will use this:
WINC1500 SCK <--> MEGA 52
WINC1500 MISO <--> MEGA 50
WINC1500 MOSI <--> MEGA 51

The other connections will be based on our breakout guide:
breakout.jpg
breakout.jpg (120.72 KiB) Viewed 435 times
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-atw ... g-and-test

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:You only need to move the SCK / MISO and MOSI pins over to pins to make things go with a mega. You cann use pins 11/12/13 as the guide suggests for an UNO.

MEGA will use this:
WINC1500 SCK <--> MEGA 52
WINC1500 MISO <--> MEGA 50
WINC1500 MOSI <--> MEGA 51

The other connections will be based on our breakout guide:
breakout.jpg
Thanks Mike,
Well my confusion is for the part that if the Mega and the Shield are not compatible then how is it that I can scan for networks and see them. Second confusion is, where is the SCK on this shield. I could spot only SDA and SCL but not SCK!!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Mega SCK can go to the shields CLK. Yeah, it would be nice if that naming was more uniform, but they all mean clock.

It's interesting that you can see anything with the MEGA, but still go forward with the manual override to the Mega pins SPI on 50-52 as others have confirmed it was necessary. Your device still fails to connect to the AP and the firmware test so this is the logical thing to try.

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:The Mega SCK can go to the shields CLK. Yeah, it would be nice if that naming was more uniform, but they all mean clock.

It's interesting that you can see anything with the MEGA, but still go forward with the manual override to the Mega pins SPI on 50-52 as others have confirmed it was necessary. Your device still fails to connect to the AP and the firmware test so this is the logical thing to try.
So, if my understanding is correct. I need to do the wiring as follows:

Vin - connect this to #5V,
GND - connect to common ground
SCK - Connect to CLK or pin 52? (which one)
MISO - Connect to Mega #50
MOSI - Connect to Mega #51

CS - Connect to Mega #8
EN - connect this to 5V or connect it to a digial I/O pin?? Which one?
IRQ - Connect to Mega #7
RST - Connect to Mega #4

Anything else?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Your pin connections look correct. It is based on this with everything being 5v (not 3.3v) and the SPI pins moving over to the 50 - 52 range for the mega.

SCK on the WINC1500 --> Mega 52

EN on the WINC1500 --> 5V

Pishi64

Post by Pishi64 »

mikeysklar wrote:Your pin connections look correct. It is based on this with everything being 5v (not 3.3v) and the SPI pins moving over to the 50 - 52 range for the mega.

SCK on the WINC1500 --> Mega 52

EN on the WINC1500 --> 5V
Thank you so much Mike. I'll try and come back to you with the results. This is a project that I started to first learn interacting with Arduino and second get the COVID cases statistics in my community. So, second part of the project is to connect an RGB LCD shield, which is for later.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Pishi64,

Would love to see your CoViD project in with display and network. Post here when you get things going.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”