Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

How to make Adafruit Ultimate GPS wireless
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How to make Adafruit Ultimate GPS wireless

by TommasoV on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 am

Hi, so I have a quick question I had recently programmed my gps using on an Arduino but I am not sure how to make the gps wireless so that I can use the gps without it being hooked up to the computer or Arduino and still be able to read the coordinates off of my computer.

TommasoV

Re: How to make Adafruit Ultimate GPS wireless

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:02 pm

You can connect the GPS module to a microcontroller that does BLE or Wifi. How do you want to want to see or use the GPS data on your computer?

adafruit_support_mike

by TommasoV on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:20 pm

I want to see the latitude and longitude of the gps on my computer through the Arduino app which I can. But my question is how do I make that happen without connecting it to a computer. Is there a way for it to work wirelessly? Or does it have to be connected to something?

TommasoV

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:26 am

You can transmit the data wirelessly, but getting it to the Arduino IDE's Serial Monitor will require another microcontroller connected to the computer providing the Serial connection.

You wouldn't need a second microcontroller hooked to the computer if you used Wifi and read the data in a web browser, or some other program that knows how to talk to the network. You could also connect the GPS module to a microcontroller with BLE and make it work like a wireless keyboard, then let it write data into a word processor or something.

It's probably possible to write programs that will listen to Wifi or BLE and pass the information through to a Serial port, but I don't know of any existing programs that do.

adafruit_support_mike

by User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 am

What Arduino board are you using? Can you mount a shield or FeatherWing on it?

User_UMjT7KxnxP8YN8

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.