Arduino blemidi example compile errors ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Ex

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LessMore

Arduino blemidi example compile errors ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Ex

Post by LessMore »

I don't have formal training on C++, writing drivers, tool chains, etc. but know enough to have made several Arduino based projects...

Adafruit nRG52 boards / ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express

Just check compiling to validate library components (have compiled a simple test to the board, not another usb cable issue)

I get no error test compiling 6 examples from Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52 Libraries, including: central_HID, hardware/adc, Peripheral/beacon, Peripheral/bleuart

Only getting compile errors with blemidi example, apparently from midi.h

Is the Arduino MIDI library from FortySevenEffects the correct one, (found no specific instruction) saw FortySevenEffects mentioned in a tutorial example.

Library manager installed Zip DL after not identifying it in the available libraries.
Tried removing directory and installing form installer menu after identifying it as:
MIDI Library
by Francois Best. iathoub Version 5.0.2 (github title: FortySevenEffects / arduino_midi_library)

Excerpts from errors:

/Applications/Arduino IDE/Arduino 1.8.13.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino IDE/Arduino 1.8.13.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Library/Arduino15/packages -hardware Documents/Arduino/hardware -tools /Applications/Arduino IDE/Arduino 1.8.13.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino IDE/Arduino 1.8.13.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino IDE/Arduino 1.8.13.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Documents/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=adafruit:nrf52:itsybitsy52840:softdevice=s140v6,debug=l2 -ide-version=10813

Sample from the 46 lines of errors appearing in red

In file included from /libraries/MIDI_Library/src/MIDI.h:307,
from/Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.21.0/libraries/Bluefruit52Lib/src/services/BLEMidi.cpp:42:
/libraries/MIDI_Library/src/MIDI.hpp: In instantiation of 'void midi::MidiInterface<Transport, _Settings, _Platform>::sendRealTime(midi::MidiType) [with Transport = BLEMidi; _Settings = midi::DefaultSettings; _Platform = midi::DefaultPlatform]':

Library/Arduino15/packages/adafruit/hardware/nrf52/0.21.0/libraries/Bluefruit52Lib/src/services/BLEMidi.cpp:210:64: required from here
/Arduino/libraries/MIDI_Library/src/MIDI.hpp:457:20: error: 'class BLEMidi' has no member named 'beginTransmission'
457 | if (mTransport.beginTransmission(inType))
| ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/libraries/MIDI_Library/src/MIDI.hpp:477:20: error: 'class BLEMidi' has no member named 'endTransmission'
477 | mTransport.endTransmission(); (last error in red)
| ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any helpful clues woul be appreciated

mikeysklar

Re: Arduino blemidi example compile errors ItsyBitsy nRF5284

Post by mikeysklar »

You are using the correct Arduino MIDI library by Forty Seven Effects.

I've seen a related compile error with the BLE MIDI Library which I thought got a stub fix last summer for backwards compatibility. I suppose you could backdown to v4.x of the MIDI library?

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_nR ... issues/528

LessMore

Post by LessMore »

A small step forward:

Installing MIDI Library version 4.3.1 (in place of the current latest 5.02)
FIXED IT, Made the test compile error go away. Thanks for the guidance

Aside from future version 5.X compatibility fix

The MIDI Library reference in code might be better clarified
Some example code mentions FortySevenEffects
but that name does not appear in the Library Manager listing.

This is the current description that appears:

MIDI Library
by Francois Best, lathoub
MIDI I/Os for Arduino Read & send MIDI messages to interface with your controllers and synths

(The manager's search doesn't help that much, searching "MIDI Library" still yields >100 results, one has to know to scroll down the alphabetical sorted results to MIDI Library.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Glad you were able to resolve this with a MIDI Library version rollback to 4.3.1. I updated the guide to reflect the authors new name and older version.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”