simple BLE beacon to broadcast state of a data input?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

simple BLE beacon to broadcast state of a data input?

by xanderphillips_af on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm trying to find the simplest solution possible to wire a BLE beacon onto a device such that it would announce via Advertisement messages the current state (HIGH/LOW) of the sensed voltage on a set of pins.

My use case is to ping out the state of a device's fan header (+12v/0v) so that I can receive the BLE advertisement by an ESP32 module listening to the Advertisements on the other side of the room and have it trigger a relay state based on the state of the fan.

It seems like this would almost be a 'hello world' use case but I am really struggling to find ANY examples of people using a BLE beacon in this manner.

All the beacons I have found seem like they only send out a static 'i am here' message.

I know it's possible for devices to BLE out data messages as I have a Xiaomi thermometer that I can see temperature and humidity embedded in the BLE beacon data, but I have not found any 'maker' / 'dev kit' modules that would let me do this to send out a sensed on/off message.

TIA for any suggestions, I'm hoping there's a simple little 'one-trick pony' board that does this that I am just not able to key in the right search terms to find!

xanderphillips_af

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.