Channel Mask
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Channel Mask

by TrackDaddy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:32 pm

I have a Bluefruit LE shield and an Arduino Mega. I've worked through several of the examples. Everything works great.

I'm trying to create a sniffer that scales out to be able to sniff several devices that are under test. Sniffers for me have been temperamental at best in the past. My goal is to get a BLE radio to 'listen' to a single channel and stream all information to a data repository. Then I can post process and filter the traffic down to just what I am interested in. I understand there are 40 channels I'll need to contend with. (there can be several systems under test concurrently)

Nordic has ble_gap_scan_params_t that allows you to mask channels. You can also bypass the connection management and get right at the packets from the radio (the link layer?).

I guess I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to accomplish this via the Bluefruit API's? (listen to just a single channel)
2) Is it possible to use the nRFSDK from Nordic with the Bluefruit LE Sheild? and would I need to change the firmware on the sheild.

I understand it seems like a crazy idea.

TrackDaddy

Re: Channel Mask

by TrackDaddy on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 am

I may have been misunderstanding.

Is this a correct statement. "Adafruit wrote an API that leverages the Nordic softdevices. S140 and S132."

TrackDaddy

by adafruit2 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:47 pm

the bluefruit shield has a custom firmware on the nRF51 that turns it specifically into a SPI->BLE device. you *can* turn it into a sniffer but you would have to replace the firmware (not easy) and then write the BLE sniffing parser. not easy! but you *could* do it :)
you'll need a jlink and a lot of patience :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by TrackDaddy on Sat May 01, 2021 9:32 pm

I upgraded the firmware on the shield to version 0.8.1 over the air using the iOS app. If I recall, I could specify my own *.hex

I don't need to make the firmware a sniffer. I just need it to stay on a single channel. Then stream all the data of the Data from that channel to the SPI bus.

Is the the 0.8.1 BlueFruit firmware OpenSource?

TrackDaddy

by adafruit2 on Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm

it is not open source, we were not able to OS it because it uses NDA/proprietary firmware from nordic. we talked to everyone at nordic and they just were not able to give us a release for it. you could download the nordic SDK and see if there's firmware you can use from them

adafruit2
Site Admin

by TrackDaddy on Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks for your help!!!

TrackDaddy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.